What to do with scary adult divers whose children are better trained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youre 16 and youre SDI solo diver certified?
That dont add up with the 21 year old prerequisite for the course..

a lot about this guy doesn't add up

I'm no expert of standards but take a peek at his list of qualifications and his dive gear on his profile. Rolex as a backup timer, well done for a 16 year old even if his grandfather did leave it for him.

IMHO I think he's listing the certifications he would like to do and the gear he would like to own.

The only other explanation is :

1) Series of badly misinformed instructors and slipping through every minimum age check in the cert process. I highly HIGHLY doubt this.
2) A self made millionaire at the age of 16 if he can own all that gear

this should be fun though :popcorn:

I'm no expert of standards but take a peek at his list of qualifications and his dive gear on his profile. Rolex as a backup timer, well done for a 16 year old even if his grandfather did leave it for him.

IMHO I think he's listing the certifications he would like to do and the gear he would like to own.

The only other explanation is :

1) Series of badly misinformed instructors and slipping through every minimum age check in the cert process. I highly HIGHLY doubt this.
2) A self made millionaire at the age of 16 if he can own all that gear

this should be fun though :popcorn:
You missed the funniest part-
Dive Rite Transpac, Dive Rite Classic Wing, Atomic Aquatics T2x and Z2 redundant, Scuba Pro Scout (mask), Dive Rite Nitek Plus, Dive Rite 10w HID 1000 Slimeline Canister light, 1 Halycon back up light, Dive Rite 500 LED light with Canister "Turtle" fins, Dive Rite Classic Reel #24 (1 saftey, and 1 primary), LP Steel 108 cu ft Doubles O2 Clean, Scuba Max 2mm Gloves, 5mm Boots, Bare 5mm Wetsuit, Dive Rite Line Arrows, SMB, OMS SPG, 7' hose (for regulator), 100' Spool, 500psi mask DeFog, AL 80 O2 Clean, LP 121 O2 clean, AL 40 O2 clean, OMS Dive Knife, Dive Bag, Saftey Whistle, Genesis back up Depth gauge, Dive Rite Regulator for other tank (mainly the AL 40), Genesis SPG for AL 40, Dive Rite wrist Compass, and a Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (water proof to 12,000' , it was passed down from my Grand Father)

I don't want to get into a P@#$ing contest over Agencies but I am not familiar with a PADI instructor who would have limited the talk on safety or would have condoned anything that went on during that trip. I suppose there is a case to be made for wreckless endangerment. But likely nothing will happen until this poor kid is really injured doing tricks for mommy.

reckless, you mean. not wreckless (in which case it would be a boring dive site according to atomic diver):classic:

500 psi. dang i missed that one. started skimming his list after a second rather than reading it. :p

i wonder if he hates me now :angrymob::bash::chairfight::swordfight: :sharkattack:

You missed the funniest part-

Dive Rite Transpac, Dive Rite Classic Wing, Atomic Aquatics T2x and Z2 redundant, Scuba Pro Scout (mask), Dive Rite Nitek Plus, Dive Rite 10w HID 1000 Slimeline Canister light, 1 Halycon back up light, Dive Rite 500 LED light with Canister "Turtle" fins, Dive Rite Classic Reel #24 (1 saftey, and 1 primary), LP Steel 108 cu ft Doubles O2 Clean, Scuba Max 2mm Gloves, 5mm Boots, Bare 5mm Wetsuit, Dive Rite Line Arrows, SMB, OMS SPG, 7' hose (for regulator), 100' Spool, 500psi mask DeFog, AL 80 O2 Clean, LP 121 O2 clean, AL 40 O2 clean, OMS Dive Knife, Dive Bag, Saftey Whistle, Genesis back up Depth gauge, Dive Rite Regulator for other tank (mainly the AL 40), Genesis SPG for AL 40, Dive Rite wrist Compass, and a Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (water proof to 12,000' , it was passed down from my Grand Father)

That's the great thing about being on the "internets", you can be who you want to be :cool2: I just want to know if he uses those cheap Lowes Hardware clips instead of the diving certified ones :lotsalove:

OP, about all you can do now is document. Document the situation, the statements made by the parents and your responses to them. Dates, times, all of it. Place a copy in his file. If you have a file on the mom, put on there also. You may want to contact SSI with a request for their advice. I am SDI, so I have no idea what SSI might say.

In any case, this a is a recipe for disaster. I make the parents, if I didn't train them also, sit in on the classroom sessions of the course. This way, they get a refresher. I also have a separate session with them on the differences in a child's limits and I make them sign a statement that they are aware of them and agree to abide by them also when diving with their child. This really cannot be enforced, but it does help your liability and it drives home the limits a bit more. I give them a copy of it also.

It is a shame one cannot retract certs.

I just read your next report on Dad's visit. It sounds like you may have a real opportunity to help there. He has obviously been believing his wife's press for too long. He is not the brightest of the bunch, but you may be able to get him to slow this down and train more. At least you could try. And then document it. A lot.....

Thanks everyone for the input. Documented everything and put it all in the file. Even contacted the legal eagles for input. The bottom line was that the child met the cert. standards, the parents are responsible, and stupidity is totally legal in the U.S.

A teen could earn a junior hunters license, pass all the safety courses and carry a firearm, but it's the parents responsibility to ensure the young hunter follows the rules and doesnt place anyone in jeopardy??? If somehting bad happens, it the responisbily of the parent. It's also clearly in the waviers. Hopefully, we'll never need to see how well the waviers hold up in court.

Thanks everyone for the input. Documented everything and put it all in the file. Even contacted the legal eagles for input. The bottom line was that the child met the cert. standards, the parents are responsible, and stupidity is totally legal in the U.S.

A teen could earn a junior hunters license, pass all the safety courses and carry a firearm, but it's the parents responsibility to ensure the young hunter follows the rules and doesnt place anyone in jeopardy??? If somehting bad happens, it the responisbily of the parent. It's also clearly in the waviers. Hopefully, we'll never need to see how well the waviers hold up in court.

the speargun thing sounds like some bozos I was on a boat with Labor Day weekend. The kid was certified, maybe 12-13 yrs old, and his dad handed him the spear gun as soon as they were in the water. Hubby and I watched them for awhile and lots of fish got shot, not kill shots though so they got away, only to lay dying on bottom, a trail of bleeding fish bodies right under the boat. I was afraid to go anywhere near either of them, dad or son, for fear of getting shot by accident. They did bring a fish back onboard and showed it to the DM... he said the name of the fish and told them it tasted like crap, the dad pulled it off the spear and tossed it back in the water. Oh well, another dead fish for the pile. :lotsalove:

the speargun thing sounds like some bozos I was on a boat with Labor Day weekend. The kid was certified, maybe 12-13 yrs old, and his dad handed him the spear gun as soon as they were in the water. Hubby and I watched them for awhile and lots of fish got shot, not kill shots though so they got away, only to lay dying on bottom, a trail of bleeding fish bodies right under the boat. I was afraid to go anywhere near either of them, dad or son, for fear of getting shot by accident. They did bring a fish back onboard and showed it to the DM... he said the name of the fish and told them it tasted like crap, the dad pulled it off the spear and tossed it back in the water. Oh well, another dead fish for the pile. :lotsalove:

Hope he spears his foot one day.

That line concerns me. He received a cert that wasn't limited to non ocean sites, yet the instructor knew he wasn't ready. Why the rush to hand a card out?

Agreed UCF. However, bottom line is he met the standards... Like it or not, and it seems there are at least three of us that don't, the OP, myself, and you.

Back
Top Bottom