What to do with scary adult divers whose children are better trained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sohnje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had an expereince this weekend that had me very concerned. Would like to hear opinion from some of the board members of what they think of this situation.

I had a mother who brought thier twelve year old son for a junior dive certification early this spring as they were heading on a dive vacation to the islands over the summer. The son completed his certification and did fairly well, but left our shop with a warning that he should get more experience before diving ocean and would be better off snorkling on the dive trip. I over-emphasized certain portions of the saftey rules for diving during the training where I even requested the mother to sit in on the classes. After questioning the mother, she presented her logbook with over 100 dives and was sure confident of her skills. I'm always concerned with younger divers and to ensure their safety.

Well, the mother shows up with her son and husband for a holiday weekend dive gathering open to person who completed certifications with our shop and any other guests. She tells us that her husband decided to do a quick padi course while on their dive vacation as her wasnt originally interested, and goes on to explain how she was proud of her son hitting 120ft on his first wall dive, despite having to be "rescued" by the dive guide as he got tired swimming aginst the current, how his dad lost him on a night dive and the captain eventually found him, and how she thinks he's ready for possible nitrox use when they go diving the next time. In addition, when diving with myself and other instructors, I must say that the young diver is better trained than both of his parents. In fact, I must say the parents were down right dangerous and many fellow diver refused to dive with them after only one dive. I found myself lecuturing them on multiple issues which wasnt my place, but OMG, they are going to kill someone. I wish I could pull the child's certification card although he met all the qualifications and when diving with other junior divers under the watch of adults other than his parents, did very well. Im proud to say I trained the kid, but the parents are going to kill this kid by placing him in situations he is way too young too deal with much less being trained to complete. (He never had night/limited vis training, or deep dovong course). Although he is now his parents repsonsibilty, and I made my self very clear how they have violated just about every safety rule we teach, (I would not permit them to dive with our group again until they complete a refresher/saftey course), they just answered that I was just being overprotective and that is why her husband wanted to do a PADI course rather than an SSI. Now I dont care who is the certifying agency is, but there must be some common sense used by parents.

My question for my fellow scuba boarders is: What would you do, or how would you address this situation?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

it is a very sad reality that in today's society we can't intervene. you have done your best as any of us would.. you " trained the kid to the best of your ability, instructed him in the dangers and the enjoyment of diving" now it really is up to the parents to further his education and trust me they will if not with you then with someone else. Really all you can do now is pray that he will be safe and that he has the courage to tell his parents "NO... IM NOT READY!!
I am very sorry you had to go through this but it is a learning curve, for all of us.

Why did you gift him the certification if he wasn't ready to dive in the clear, warm, calm, tropical ocean off "the Islands" (I'm just guessing it's tropical)?

Sometimes you really wish that there were some sort of license requirement before being allowed to become a parent. Jeez.

As to PADI vs. SSI, I can't believe that there's any significant difference in the recommendations and "limitations" on a junior OW cert. Those parents are just bozos. Too bad Darwin couldn't have taken effect before they reproduced.

He wasnt gifted anything, he passed his certification course as did several others within his class. In fact, where tougher on younger divers and are very strict. 50% of the time we reccommend scuba rangers or additional training if we see any hesitation or potential problems. We do quarry diving in our area and generally recommend younger divers to get more dives under their belts for nothing more than gaining experience. The ocean is a bit more unforgiving than limited depth quarries.

Dude, as much as it sucks to hear (and say), that kid may have to get hurt/worse for his parents to wake up and smell the roses. The boy ain't going to say no, he's having fun! Let's face the facts: most young boys around that age are headstrong and head-dumb. I know I was doing some pretty retarded stuff at that age, and my nephews who are only a few years younger ain't much better than I was, either.

You did your best, brother; the skills that the young'un have are proof of that, considering he's doing better than mom and dad in the water. It's unfortunate that you now have to let go and hope for the best, man.

Peace,
Greg

You may not think that you can do anything, but becoming a school teacher has made me a, "mandatory reporter." As was explained to me at a meeting a few weeks ago, I am required by law to inform Child Protective Services of anything that I observe that leads me to believe that a child is being abused or endangered ... and that's not just at school. I can be prosecuted for not doing so.

I am afraid parents have an inalienable right to screw up their kids as they see fit.

It is the lesser of two evils - generally speaking parents want what is the very best for the children, but people who want to tell their parents what they should do with their children... not always the case (not for a second suggesting that the OP didn't have the kid's best interests at heart here - I am talking more generally - there are good parents and bad parents, most people are good parents, but if you meddle with what you see as "bad" parenting you meddle with all parenting).

Abuse is obviously a different kettle of fish.

PADI instead of SSI for the father because SSI was strict? Well, now they can violate multiple agencies standards instead of just SSIs standards. Isnt life grand?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom