What to do with a tank that has failed hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, as TravisD stated, there is a special testing procedure for PST tanks. I had one fail hydro two years ago, but the shop followed the proper procedure. Then I had a second one fail VIP about 6 months ago. They sit together on my deck awaiting a proper use.

Call PST? I would be amazed if they responded. I wrote e-mails to their SCUBA product folks and a letter to the former owner of the company. Did get a response from the former but not the latter. They have reorganized and are under different ownership now, with some of the same people in place. I'd like to think they are more responsive today, but I'm not planning on buying any of their tanks in the future even if they get the new product to market.

I did love the PST HP 120's while they lasted, and wish I still had one for my deep diving... but I'm not going to replace a tank every 1-2 years.

I have an old tank that I've been wanting to screw around with. I thought it would be cool as a bell, but don't know where to start. What's the most practical way to cut into this thing? Plasma torch?

cut it in half and make a bell out of it. Make a mailbox out of it. Make a pressure pot for pressure testing things.

If you need to kill time, do the above with a Dremel.

Failing hydro at the frist test, after production :11:
How can that be, i have tanks over 30 years old..

Is this normal :confused:

Mine failed on the second hydro after just 10 years. It was not filled on dive boats, just on land but I think a number of the fills were pretty hot ones. The second one failed VIP shortly after its second hydro. It was filled almost exclusively on a California dive boat.

Why did it fail, was it the expansion or visual.
Here is the PST test procedure. If it failed on expansion and they didn't follow the PST procedure you may be able to get another tank out of them.

ive heard of guys doing this,

Cut the bottom of your tank off with a sawzall, and replace the bottom with a tank boot, and BAM, you have a contraband hiding device.

i.e. take a non legal fish

not advocating illegal activities, but i thought it was a creative idea

jumbo

Guy around here has built a scuba themed motor bike. Cut the top foot or so off the tank and stuck a boot on the bottom so it looks like a foot long AL 80, used it as the batter box. Neat idea, haven't seen the bike yet though. It was an AL 80 and I believe he cut it with a band saw.

not sure how you'd cut a steel tank other than a torch.

I've seen some very nice gongs made, you can use it to call your kids home for dinner when they are playing outside. Hang it valve side up from a post, and hit it with a baseball bat.... The vibration goes a long distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom