Question Downsides of hydro testing more often than 5 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Since each of the two single tanks that make up my doubles have different hydro dates, I'll just pay the extra money to hydro them both so they're in sync.

@runsongas thanks for the warning about pre-stretching. I'm not sure I was aware of that, but I do recall a video somewhere from Worthington that might be relevant.

In Australia we need annual hydro testing, and have for more than ten years (probably much more). The tanks are fine. From a diver’s perspective it isn’t really more hassle than an annual vis (done at the same time), just more costly. And adds up quite quickly when you own multiple tanks.
Woah, hydro EVERY year? But why? That just seems like a huge PITA with a neglectable safety benefit.
In most european countries you have to do a visual inspection every 2.5 years and hydro every 5 years. I'm not aware of people who died because of a faulty cylinder...

yep, potential exposure to idiots is increased....
Agree - although almost all my tanks are old steel '72s and I want them plus stamped so not overly commodity tanks these days - I've only found one hydro place within hours of me that will do that and last time due to changes there it was a 4+ month process to get them done. So my hydros are done ONLY when truly needed.

In Australia we need annual hydro testing, and have for more than ten years (probably much more). The tanks are fine. From a diver’s perspective it isn’t really more hassle than an annual vis (done at the same time), just more costly. And adds up quite quickly when you own multiple tanks.

One question. Where do you fit all of those annual hydro stamps on the tanks? Eventually the crown of the tank will be full! I have some tanks that would be going on 20 stamps now, and some divers have steel tanks way older than that!

you're supposed to stop using the tank and get a new one at that point because the tank is considered used up by the australian gov

I have been to Australia just once around 2015 - the dive shop there said tanks over 10 years old were no longer any good. I was just passing through so didn't question it - but out of my dozen+ tanks I think only 2 pony bottles are in that range - most are steel 72's from the 60s-70s (that work fine and pass all requirements) - so seems they are a bit strong handed there. Although I've seen my share of ignorance around tanks in the USA as well - actually from the MAJORITY of dive shops I've talked to.

Woah, hydro EVERY year? But why? That just seems like a huge PITA with a neglectable safety benefit.
In most european countries you have to do a visual inspection every 2.5 years and hydro every 5 years. I'm not aware of people who died because of a faulty cylinder...

It might be a pain in the arse, but a much greater pain in the wallet.

One question. Where do you fit all of those annual hydro stamps on the tanks? Eventually the crown of the tank will be full! I have some tanks that would be going on 20 stamps now, and some divers have steel tanks way older than that!

There’s a lot of surface area on a 12 litre cylinder. My concern is for the rebreather divers with 3 litre cylinders.

In all seriousness, by the time you’ve filled the crown with stamps either you or one of your buddies has probably worked out it’s cheaper to buy a compressor and test at whatever frequency you believe is appropriate.

I have been to Australia just once around 2015 - the dive shop there said tanks over 10 years old were no longer any good. I was just passing through so didn't question it - but out of my dozen+ tanks I think only 2 pony bottles are in that range - most are steel 72's from the 60s-70s (that work fine and pass all requirements) - so seems they are a bit strong handed there. Although I've seen my share of ignorance around tanks in the USA as well - actually from the MAJORITY of dive shops I've talked to.
Shops will refuse to fill old (pre-1990something) aluminium cylinders because of the dodgy alloy used in some. At some point that was “ten years ago”. Don’t think there’s an issue with steel cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom