What tanks should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am getting a tank or 2 for christmas and I dont know anything about them. I have a back plate and wing set up for one tank. I dive california water from here to san diego. I dont know where to even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I am getting a tank or 2 for christmas and I dont know anything about them. I have a back plate and wing set up for one tank. I dive california water from here to san diego. I dont know where to even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks are highly individual, you're likely to get lots of (semi-)conflicting advice.

So help us out with some general parameters:

What is your gender/weight/height?
What is your SAC (or how rapidly do you run out of air)?
Any budget concerns?

ok im Male, 5'11'', 230#'s
SAC rate is 1.3 I think.
Budget will be about $300 or less per tank.

SAC rate is 1.3 I think.

OK. . . given that, I'd suggest HP100 tanks or HP110 (used). You're not going to find these new at your price, but you'll appreciate the longer bottom times (the AL80's you've probably been diving with are only 77 ft^3.) so the 100/110 will give you 30% - 40% more air.

Craigslist is your friend.

need a little more info.

If you are diving a steel backplate and a wetsuit, you might find the HP100 to be a bit heavy, and might want to consider an aluminum 100 instead.

When I first got my HP100s, I dove them as singles, and with my 6lb backplate and a 30lb wing, I needed my wing fully inflated just to keep my head above water (and I am about your size). This hasn't been a problem since switching to a drysuit though (and I dive them as doubles now anyway).

Another thing to consider is the place you are getting your airfills. A lot of places will overfill your tanks giving you a few hundred pounds extra, however, at a lot of places, their bank is 3500psi, so overfilling high pressure tanks is not really an option (unless you engage the booster, which takes more time). My point is that with low or medium pressure tanks, you might be able to get better fills.

Lastly, at <24 dives, I would expect your SAC rate to drop significantly in the next 25 or so dives as you get more comfortable in the water, but you might want to check the SAC rates of the other divers you commonly dive with and try to match up so that nobody ends up being the one that has to call the dive all the time.

SAC rate is 1.3 I think.

How much lead does it take to just sink you (wearing fins, mask, exposure suit, and with half a lungfull of air)? Let us know if the test was done in fresh or saltwater.

My opinion is nothing smaller than an HP100, and a HP120 would probably be even better. I dive HP130's and don't find them too big nor heavy. Drysuits do allow for longer dives though, so I like to have plenty of gas. You are going to have to look for used tanks as they typically cost well over $300 each new.

For California diving I would go with Hp 100's or something close in LP.... Good volume and weight for beach diving and give you the option later on to double up if you desire to.

I dive with 30 lbs in salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom