What tanks should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(I do sit there and pour cold water over the tanks as they fill)
Chuck

that's pretty close to what I would consider a hassle, there are plenty of dive shops around here that do HP fills, its some dive boats where it can be a challenge getting a solid HP fill during the surface interval. Getting fills is just one of many factors to consider.

I am about the same size as the OP and I find HP130's to be ideal for the cold water recreational diving that I do. I have H-valves on mine to provide a degree of redundancy.

Yeah, I love diving with the HP130s. They are the same height as the 100s (or an Al80), but fatter and heavier. They are 10 pounds heavier, and I find I don't mind it that much. Well worth it for the extra dive time.

I haven't been diving much lately, but I mostly did shore diving. With the extended travel time from the car to where you actually descend and back again, it was nice to get more out of that swim and hike. Overall, more time in the water per time getting to the dive spot.

The original poster probably already got his/her christmas tanks since this thread is a month old, but I figured I would weigh in. I am actually selling my HP130s (can check NorCal marketplace), but it is one of the bits of gear I am most sad to lose. It made a bigger difference for me over the rental 80s than I expected.

I'm also looking into migrating to a larger tank. However, I do have some concern as I primarily dive from the beach, so my gear's actual weight is important to me, in addition to its buoyancy characteristics. I'm 5'5 at about 130-135lbs and currently use a Faber 71.4CFT, which is just shy of 30lbs. Does anyone of my physical stature regularly beach dive with HP100 tanks? I was considering the HP80 but they're much shorter than my current tank and don't know if I can actually secure the cylinder with two tank bands.

I'm also looking into migrating to a larger tank. However, I do have some concern as I primarily dive from the beach, so my gear's actual weight is important to me, in addition to its buoyancy characteristics. I'm 5'5 at about 130-135lbs and currently use a Faber 71.4CFT, which is just shy of 30lbs. Does anyone of my physical stature regularly beach dive with HP100 tanks? I was considering the HP80 but they're much shorter than my current tank and don't know if I can actually secure the cylinder with two tank bands.
At your size an HP100 should be about perfect. If I can handle beach diving double HP100's at 165 lbs standing 5'10", you should be able to handle a single HP100.

My late input. I have an HP100 and two HP130s. Your buddy also needs an HP130 assuming surfacing together so I purchased two on Craigslist from a diver whose buddy had problems cliff hiking with the added weight along our coast. For me the HP100 is a great size when diving with other divers using Al80s. I suck up air quick. My wife would have to surface early with me when we used Al80s. Now with the HP100 I have plenty of air left in my tank and I am not the first person needing to surface.

Back
Top Bottom