What tanks should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two HP80's and two HP100's. I use the HP80's for about 99% of my dives and almost never use the HP100's. I found the HP100's were useful if and only if I was diving with somebody else using HP100's (or larger) who I knew was very good on air. Otherwise, I could always count on coming back with half a tank left over. Personally, I wouldn't touch a 120 or 130 even if you gave it to me! They are just too heavy to lug in and out of the water.

The OP is not a tiny woman :) I would guess a single 130 would not be a big deal - its only 55lb and on the back its nothing for an 5.11 /230 lb guy.

Ok so i need to chime in as a newbie. How do I find out buoyancy calcs, sac rates...etc?!?!

Check Ebay right now for new Faber HP100's for $299

^ Which brings up the other side of the equation what brand to get? I am personally fond of Worthington aka XS Scuba. We have four PST HP80's too. Although PST tanks are no longer in business, their tanks can still be found used. I won't buy any steel tank that isn't hot dipped galvanized. They may look ugly, yet won't rust like a painted tank. Nor would I consider a cold dipped tank when they are trying to be cheaper and eco friendly. The buoyancy characteristics are different between the brands too.

Used tanks that are older can also have 7/8" necks vs the more common modern 3/4".

Ok so i need to chime in as a newbie. How do I find out buoyancy calcs, sac rates...etc?!?!

No flame on the poster Kian here but isn't this patheic? What once was and should still be basic diving knowledge isn’t known to a newbie? Sounds like the 1st time Kian heard of this. Is that right Kian? This stuff should have at least been talked about in OW. The information isn't hard to get or to understand but if one doesn't know about it why look it up? LowVis took care of you. Once you understand, practice..... that is dive.

OP I've never dived the west coast so the only advise I have for you is to dive as many different tanks as you can, rent, borrow, beg until you find the tank that feels right for you. Comfort is important, that is the biggest tank you can handle that reduces the amount of lead on your belt. No flame on the poster Kian here but isn't this patheic? What once was and should still be basic diving knowledge isn’t known to a newbie? Sounds like the 1st time Kian heard of this. Is that right Kian? This stuff should have at least been talked about in OW. The information isn't hard to get or to understand but if one doesn't know about it why look it up? LowVis took care of you. Once you understand, practice..... that is dive.

OP I've never dived the west coast so the only advise I have for you is to dive as many different tanks as you can, rent, borrow, beg until you find the tank that feels right for you. Comfort is important, that is the biggest tank you can handle that reduces the amount of lead on your belt. There is no such thing as too much breathable gas.

Last edited:
No flame indeed. He actually thought about it and asked!!!

As a certifed diver it should not have been news. It also shows that had he been exposed to it in OW class he would have probably been paying attention and understood the importance of it as he did here.

Back
Top Bottom