What Tank Would You Get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am newly certifiied last year. I only have 20 dives so far but this summer I hope to dive often. The problem I am having is that I dive with experienced divers who have far better SAC rates then I do. I am working on it, but I know it will take some time. Because of this, I run out of air much sooner then my experienced dive buddies. I hate cutting the dives short for them and I am considering buying a bigger tank so I can extend my bottom time until my SAC rate improves.

I am presently renting AL 80's. I am 6'2" and can carry a bigger tank without problems. I dive mainly the Gulf of Mexico and Florida Springs. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type and size of tank for someone in my situation??

HP100's are really nice, I don't own them, but I have dove them several times. Not really any heavier or bigger than an AL80, but 25% more gas. HP119's are nice too, but a bit bigger.

Compared to an AL-80 the HP-100s will give you another 22.6 (aprox.) cubic feet of air. It's a nice size that you are used to and it won't mean lugging a behemoth along on your dives. Based on what your are making your buddies get out of the water with for excess pressure will the difference close the gap enough for you to save face while you grow your gills?

Pete

GLENFWB:
I am presently renting AL 80's. I am 6'2" and can carry a bigger tank without problems. I dive mainly the Gulf of Mexico and Florida Springs. Does anyone have any suggestions about the type and size of tank for someone in my situation??

My husband is 6'5" and has the same problem. He uses a steel 120, and it helps.

I'd try diving a 120 before you choose to go that route, I'm about 6 foot 2 or 3, and I find a 120 a little long. As for cuting dives short cuz of lack of air, that will all come with time. Either way if you can dive the 120 or 100 or whatever before you buy, you'll be in a better position to decide.

I would recomend a hp 100 steel or a hp130or lp104 take alot of weight off you belt to

Rec pst or worthington as manufacturers faber tanks get to boyent at the end of the dive

lowridersvt:
I would recomend a hp 100 steel or a hp130or lp104 take alot of weight off you belt to

Rec pst or worthington as manufacturers faber tanks get to boyent at the end of the dive

Faber makes some of the most negative cylinders going. What they lack is the hot dipped galvanized finish.

Pete

hp 100's. my shop was selling them for 200 and they sold out within two days.

I'm 6'3" and around 250ish and I bought a couple Worthington HP130's. I really like em, though I admit they're a bit of a chore to carry around.

If you don't want quite so much in a cylinder, I'd go with an HP100 or even a 119. You're a big guy, you can likely handle the bigger tanks. Worthington's 100 is about the same size as an AL80. Worthington's 119 is the same height as the 100, but 8" diameter instead of 7.25.

I just bought a pair of HP 100's, I am 6'2" and 230#. They are basically the same size as my AL-80's and more negative at the end of the dive so they let me take some lead off. LP 108's, & HP 119's also got very strong consideration and there's a good chance I will end up with some of them before its all said and done.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom