What Tank Would You Get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB:
Does anyone have any suggestions about the type and size of tank for someone in my situation??
I'd suggest renting or borrowing a few sizes of cylinders before spending the money. You're definetly big enough for X7-120's. I'm 5' 7" and my wife is 5' 8" and we both use 120's when diving singles. (also have 119's and 100's for doubles)

However, just being able to carry the weight is only half of the solution. The other half is finding a cylinder that allows you to trim out easily. Two of the guys I dive with are each over six feet tall and both own X8-119's. One trims out nicely with a single X8-119 the other is overly "head" heavy and trims out better in the X7-120. Other than their height, they have very different body types and wear different styles of BCs.

The 120's are a little lighter on land and have the same buoyancy characteristics. The 119's are a few dollars cheaper.

miesemer:
I'd suggest renting or borrowing a few sizes of cylinders before spending the money. You're definetly big enough for X7-120's. I'm 5' 7" and my wife is 5' 8" and we both use 120's when diving singles. (also have 119's and 100's for doubles)

However, just being able to carry the weight is only half of the solution. The other half is finding a cylinder that allows you to trim out easily. Two of the guys I dive with are each over six feet tall and both own X8-119's. One trims out nicely with a single X8-119 the other is overly "head" heavy and trims out better in the X7-120. Other than their height, they have very different body types and wear different styles of BCs.

The 120's are a little lighter on land and have the same buoyancy characteristics. The 119's are a few dollars cheaper.

Dude..I'm only 5' 11 3/4"! :D (unless you're talking about Justin)

I dove a 120 all last summer and felt bottom heavy, the 119 (as Jeff related) trims me out nicely!

Buoyant1:
Dude..I'm only 5' 11 3/4"! :D

It must be your new shoes...

Attachments

• shoe.jpg
    shoe.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for all the great information. My problem is the shops around here don't have a lot of rental options, most rentals seem to be AL80's. I am going to check another LDS this week to see if they have some steel tanks to rent, so i can try them. Thanks again.

spectrum:
Compared to an AL-80 the HP-100s will give you another 22.6 (aprox.) cubic feet of air. It's a nice size that you are used to and it won't mean lugging a behemoth along on your dives. Based on what your are making your buddies get out of the water with for excess pressure will the difference close the gap enough for you to save face while you grow your gills?
Pete

I sure hope so...I appreciate the fact that no one has complained but I also don't like running so short on air at the end of the dive. I want to be fair to them while at the same time keeping myself within safe limits. I sure hope I can grow those gills soon.

It seems from what I have read that most people would recommend a steel tank over aluminum? I am not sure I really understand the distinction of High Pressure and Low Pressure tanks. I understand the PSI distinction but how does that affect the diver who is using it? Is it just a matter of how the air is placed in the tank and once it is in there it doesn't change anything for the diver?

Steel tanks are made out of different steel alloys depending on their rated service. A high pressure tanks typically are rated for 3442 or 3500 psi. Low pressure tanks are 2200 to 2450 psi. Sometimes its harder to get a complete fill for a HP tank since some compressors and banks may not be able to fill at those pressures. You can nearly always get a full fill on a LP tank plus maybe some extra.

The HP's are generally smaller and lighter for the given sizes when compared to the LP's.

AL

GLENFWB:
I am not sure I really understand the distinction of High Pressure and Low Pressure tanks. I understand the PSI distinction but how does that affect the diver who is using it? Is it just a matter of how the air is placed in the tank and once it is in there it doesn't change anything for the diver?

You can find threads that beat HP & LP to death.

The basic advantages oh HP include being a more efficient package the diver ends up with a lighter cylinder this is nice if you do a lot of shore dives that cross beaches, dunes etc. Being denser makes larger sizes up to 130CF more practical. They cost more and are a little fussier when trying to get a perfect fill.

To understand LP just invert the above paragraph.

Pete

All of your information is correct.

FYI: All High Pressure steel cylinders currently manufactured for distribution in the US are now 3442 psi (3/4" x 14 NPSM inlet thread). No one manufactures 3500 psi steel cylinders any longer (7/8" x 14 UNF inlet thread). Asahi cylinders from Japan were the last to change. But, of course there are still plenty of old 3500 psi around.

Diveral:
A high pressure tanks typically are rated for 3442 or 3500 psi.

Back
Top Bottom