What Tank Would You Get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what i did. I found a diver with 2 LP 120 tanks. They are big and the boat I went on gave many people a smile. Then I found someome with HP 100 tanks. I found that the HP 100 fit better and were easy to setup and lug around. I'm 6 ft 2 in at 245 pounds and I'm proud to say that I can burn up a tank. I have been on several dives with divers that use 1 tank for 2 dives and still have 1000 psi left. I am going to buy HP 100 tanks and just DIVE, DIVE, and DIVE.

GLENFWB:
I am newly certifiied last year. I only have 20 dives so far but this summer I hope to dive often. ... I run out of air much sooner then my experienced dive buddies. I hate cutting the dives short for them and I am considering buying a bigger tank so I can extend my bottom time until my SAC rate improves. I am presently renting AL 80's. I am 6'2" and can carry a bigger tank without problems.

AL80 are certainly the most common and the most 'popular' tank. They are also a tank mentioned more than a few times in the list of gear that divers most regret buying (later). Not because they are bad tanks, but because most divers who get wet regularly want 'more' - gas, bottom time, whatever. Given your height, and expressed desire to carry more gas, why not go with a steel (DIN) HP 120 or 130? I am 5'11", and dive single 120s (the older, longer 3500 PSI E7s) without any trim problems. I also dive double E7-120s. Yes, then I feel a little bottom heavy, but I suspect I have my tank bands a bit high. At least, with that configuration (and a SS backplate) I carry NO extra weight. Yes, I have more weight on my back, but little (signle 120) or no weight (double 120) on my waist - hallelujah!. The LP steels are also great tanks and 'I have been told by others' that they can be overfilled to give you a whompin' gob of gas.

If you are going to buy tanks, might I suggest you at least seriously consider (hot dip galvanized) steel tanks, with DIN valves, and capacities in the 119 - 130 cf range? Just a thought.

Still appreciate all the great comments. A big thank you to Oriskany Divemaster who is going to meet up with me to test out his Steel 120's. Now, that is GREAT ScubaBoard member to offer to help. I will report back next week after we make a dive with his tanks.

Still open to any suggestions.

ccso434:
Here is what i did. I found a diver with 2 LP 120 tanks. They are big and the boat I went on gave many people a smile. Then I found someome with HP 100 tanks. I found that the HP 100 fit better and were easy to setup and lug around. I'm 6 ft 2 in at 245 pounds and I'm proud to say that I can burn up a tank. I have been on several dives with divers that use 1 tank for 2 dives and still have 1000 psi left. I am going to buy HP 100 tanks and just DIVE, DIVE, and DIVE.

For the best all around tank, which is probably what you want right now, I'd just get an HP100 and don't look back. Later, once you've had more experience, consider some bigger tanks if you feel you need/want them, but it's hard to go wrong with an HP100.

look at the deals section: Incredible Deal on Steel LP77s for $180 shipped.
A great deal in my opinion. If they had the same or closer deal on HP or LP 100s, I would go bezerk.

While the cost more the HP 100 is samaller and you need less weight than the Al 80. You also have better trim and more O2. My worst SCUBA purchase was an AL 80 for what it worth.

Back
Top Bottom