What tank has the largest volume of air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
Simple question for you guys.

What one tank holds the largest volume of air? Does it stand to reason, then, that the tank would provide the longest downtime, all other factors being equal?

Basically I don't mind the weight/buoyancy swing issues. And I don't want to get into tech diving/doubles, etc.

I just want the biggest mamma tank out there so I can take down about 1000 cu feet and stay down in shallow water as long as the tables/computer allows. :)

The largest practical tanks are currently either 120cf HP or LP tanks. Heiser makes some larger 140cf and 190cf tanks, but I understand that they are *dangerously* negatively buoyant (like -28lb and -62lb when full).

PST is releasing a new line of tanks starting the end of February, the "E-series" - one of these tanks will be a 149cf monster - but about the same physical size and buoyancy as the existing 120cf LP tanks they make. Here's a good reference:

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/pst.html
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

but I would not want to carry that one.

They also made a 140 cu. ft.

I have owned the 120, and it weighed 60+ lbs. empty topside.

Those are the largest capacity SCUBA cylinders I am aware of.

Good Luck

C_C

You probably don't need the biggest mamma tank around, actually it might be dangerous in that it might lull you into overstaying your no-decompression bottom time limit.

You should really find out how much gas you use per minute at the depths you want to dive, then multiply it by the max downtime at that depth in minutes and buy a tank based upon that sizing guideline.

If you need to get into the really huge tanks, then you ought to look to going for a double tank setup, either together on a manifold, isolated tanks on a backplate or a single tank with a stage tank.

I wonder if you could get your cam bands around a K bottle...

The largest I've personally used are HP120's. I use them as singles.

I don't find them overly heavy and I like the fact that they allow you to drop weight.

As for the largest tank, I believe that OMS makes an LP131. I've never seen it and never been diving with anyone who uses one. I recall hearing from people on the Board who use them.

I've heard about the Beuchat 140 and 190, but I don't think that they are particularly easy to find. In addition, it sounds like they have safety issues.

Check out www.omsdive.com for more information.

Distraction once bubbled...
I just want the biggest mamma tank out there so I can take down about 1000 cu feet and stay down in shallow water as long as the tables/computer allows. :)

In that case, why not just look at rebreathers... Halcyon says their RB80 w/ an 80 cu ft tank'll give you the equivalent of about 640 cuft of air....

I've seen a Beuchat 190 and the sucker was HUGE..painted gray. I couldn't imagine anyone diving with that sucker.

Back
Top Bottom