What size of safety spool: 60',80',120'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
......you probably need about 1.5x the line of your max depth.

This seems to be a good rule of thumb in any current conditions, etc.

BUT.....anything is better than the one you have now :D

Soggy:
Well, to be frank, what is more important, getting the best tools for the job, or buying everything from one place at the cheapest possible price? Halcyon makes a 150' spool as does Oxycheq (though they appear way overpriced). I know that with 150' spool, I have enough line to do almost any recreational level dive. 120' is only really useful to 80-90'.

Well said.....otherwise, if budget is a concern, figure out the most you're willing to spend and get the best and longest you are willing to pay for. A longer one with a reel would be a good investment if you do: deco, current, boat, wrecks, cave diving, etc., or if you think you might later.

Note: my first one was a 185', which I thought was plenty long enough. Then I started wreck diving, and came up short several times and had to clip two together. Get the most you can afford to now, so it is more versatile later, and you don't need to buy another one too soon. (Unless of course lift bags and depth are your only concern). Then refer to Soggy's 1.5 times your max depth to figure length.

Good times to ya.

-Steve

Solitude Diver:
This seems to be a good rule of thumb in any current conditions, etc.

BUT.....anything is better than the one you have now :D

Well said.....otherwise, if budget is a concern, figure out the most you're willing to spend and get the best and longest you are willing to pay for. A longer one with a reel would be a good investment if you do: deco, current, boat, wrecks, cave diving, etc., or if you think you might later.

Note: my first one was a 185', which I thought was plenty long enough. Then I started wreck diving, and came up short several times and had to clip two together. Get the most you can afford to now, so it is more versatile later, and you don't need to buy another one too soon. (Unless of course lift bags and depth are your only concern). Then refer to Soggy's 1.5 times your max depth to figure length.

Good times to ya.

-Steve

can i get a reel even for shooting ballons and for depth? most of the reels ive seen were excessively bulky

Soggy:
I suppose that depends what size cath you wear :wink:

I was all set to reply, but then decided to keep everything G-rated. :cool:

Terry

Spoon:
so when you do a safety stop at 30ft do you deploy your 40' spool or 150' spool?

I would deploy the 150' spool. There's really no point in deploying a shorter spool...it's not like a longer spool is any more difficult to manage...just because the spool has 150' of line on it, doesn't mean all 150' of the line will pay out. Check out the GUE videos on lift bag deployment and you'll see how to use the double ender to lock the line after deployment.

Spoon:
can i get a reel even for shooting ballons and for depth?
Soggy:
I suppose that depends what size cath you wear :wink:
Web Monkey:
Longer really is better. Terry
Web Monkey:
keep everything G-rated. :cool:Terry

I think I found the right forum! :D

Spoon:
can i get a reel even for shooting ballons and for depth? most of the reels ive seen were excessively bulky

It depends on your idea of bulky I suppose. They do come in a variety of sizes depending on the amount of line. I think the 150’ and smaller reels are pretty manageable, but I am used to carrying one. Sometimes shops put less line on larger reels (for whatever reason) so make sure you've found one that is not HUGE with opnly a little line on it. I couldn’t imagine trying to control a line without one (especially if your bag “dumped” at surface and you had to retract line in a hurry to keep from getting it (or yourself) entangled.

Soggy:
Check out the GUE videos on lift bag deployment and you'll see how to use the double ender to lock the line after deployment.

we did a lot of lift bag deployment in my fundies but i dont recall a procedure wherein you could lock the linbe with a double ender? i only use the double ender to secure my spools to my d rings.

Spoon:
we did a lot of lift bag deployment in my fundies but i dont recall a procedure wherein you could lock the linbe with a double ender? i only use the double ender to secure my spools to my d rings.

After deployment, you didn't clip the bolt snap to spool such that the spool could hang in the water column without spooling out more line? You just clip the boltsnap, facing out, to the line, then to the spool.

Soggy:
After deployment, you didn't clip the bolt snap to spool such that the spool could hang in the water column without spooling out more line? You just clip the boltsnap, facing out, to the line, then to the spool.

actually after i unclip my spool i reattach the double ender to the d ring and all i use is the spool and the balloon. i have a general idea of what you are saying but cannot quite picture it? if its not too much trouble can you post some pics of where the double ender is attached and if the line goes through it?

Spoon:
actually after i unclip my spool i reattach the double ender to the d ring and all i use is the spool and the balloon. i have a general idea of what you are saying but cannot quite picture it? if its not too much trouble can you post some pics of where the double ender is attached and if the line goes through it?

Like so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom