What size of safety spool: 60',80',120'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys im getting rid of my useless safety spool of 20' and upgrading to a longer one. i know the lengths are dependant on the use but i just plan to use but cant imagine deploying it at 120' or 80'. what should i get? is the longer one always better for that just in case moment?

Spoon:
guys im getting rid of my useless safety spool of 20' and upgrading to a longer one. i know the lengths are dependant on the use but i just plan to use but cant imagine deploying it at 120' or 80'. what should i get? is the longer one always better for that just in case moment?
What would your uses of the spool be? For example, assuming you carry a lift bag (or a SMB), you'd surely want to be able to shoot the bag to make an emergency ascent line. If you don't carry a wreck reel (guideline reel), you'd need a spool that's as long as your max anticipated depth to be able to do this.

100 or if you are going to do a lot of "deep" diving 150... but remember if you are at depth you should start moving thru your pauses and then hitting your stop so not to on-gas more.

Generally speaking, the lift bag needs to be shot as soon as you are not where the boat expects you to be. Consider that on a 120 ft dive, waiting until 70' to deploy the spool in a 1 knot current means you are close to 200ft away from the dive boat already. Get a spool big enough to allow you to shoot from the bottom. This means you probably need about 1.5x the line of your max depth. Dives below 100' really require a reel.

guess im getting the 120'. this may seem like a stupid question but can you join pieces of line together without affecting the strenghth of the line? just curious

Spoon:
guess im getting the 120'. this may seem like a stupid question but can you join pieces of line together without affecting the strenghth of the line? just curious

Off-hand, I would say no. A continuous line with a knot in it can have its strength reduced by 30%. Joining two lines, the joint will be the weak spot and there will be a couple of knots.

Would be interested to hear any input from some climbers.

Bill.

Soggy:
Why not get a 150'?

getting my stuff from cnsales the ones who make the photon torpedo. the max length is 120'. unless you know where i can get a 150' reef for under $40

Spoon:
getting my stuff from cnsales the ones who make the photon torpedo. the max length is 120'. unless you know where i can get a 150' reef for under $40

Well, to be frank, what is more important, getting the best tools for the job, or buying everything from one place at the cheapest possible price? Halcyon makes a 150' spool as does Oxycheq (though they appear way overpriced). I know that with 150' spool, I have enough line to do almost any recreational level dive. 120' is only really useful to 80-90'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom