What size of safety spool: 60',80',120'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Well, to be frank, what is more important, getting the best tools for the job, or buying everything from one place at the cheapest possible price? Halcyon makes a 150' spool as does Oxycheq (though they appear way overpriced). I know that with 150' spool, I have enough line to do almost any recreational level dive. 120' is only really useful to 80-90'.

Longer really is better.

It's like air. Nobody ever got back to the surface and complained they had too much gas, just like nobody ever came back up and complained their line was to long.

Terry

technically, doesn't the 'safety' spool go in the left pocket and only get used for lost line / lost buddy situations, and aren't the lengths typically more like 50-75' on that one?

Well, we're not in the DIR forum :wink: but a true 'safety spool' is used in hard overhead environments like you describe. But for the purposes of shooting bags, a 50'-75' length is pretty much useless. I carry a 100' and 150' spool in my left pocket for shooting lift bags.

lamont:
technically, doesn't the 'safety' spool go in the left pocket and only get used for lost line / lost buddy situations, and aren't the lengths typically more like 50-75' on that one?

Soggy:
Well, we're not in the DIR forum :wink:

whoops... looked like the DIR forum from all the posters...

but a true 'safety spool' is used in hard overhead environments like you describe. But for the purposes of shooting bags, a 50'-75' length is pretty much useless. I carry a 100' and 150' spool in my left pocket for shooting lift bags.

i just started doing 150' spool and wetnotes in right pocket, 4.5' SMB in the MC pack, backup mask, shears, 75' safety spool and extra double ender in the left pocket. for boat diving i also put a dive alert in the left pocket as well.

my right pocket is now very clean. the left pocket is a little bit busy, but i try to keep the safety spool and the double ender on the forward bungee loop in the pocket and packed last. i also think i'm going to go to a single ender on the rear nut on the light so that the double ender gets used less.

Doc Harry:
BTW - Cavers know a lot more about knots than climbers

I was going to say cavers, but my knowledge on caving is limited so I didn't want to make a statement that I couldn't support. My comment above actually comes more from experience in the heavy construction industry.

Cheers,
Bill.

double80s:
I usually carry 2 spools. I have a smaller spool with approx 40' which I keep in my pocket. The 2nd is a 150' spool clipped off on my BC, which is slightly wider than a typical 100'.

The 150' spool is no more difficult to store or deploy than my small spool and gives me enough line to shoot a sausage or marker from depth if needed.

Will

so when you do a safety stop at 30ft do you deploy your 40' spool or 150' spool?

Spoon:
thanks already ordred a halcyon defender 150' for $38:)

We carry Barry's spools as well. A spool is basically a spool as long as they are made of similar materials, however, Barry's has done a great job with his. Rounded edges, really smooth finish, I prefer them, use them, and sell them
:wink: If anyone's interested, you can PM me and I can work out a member discount or something.

My best move this year was adding a pocked to my wetsuit. Perfect for storing spools and more.

Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom