What size of safety spool: 60',80',120'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
And yes, I believe the 100ft spool *is* smaller than the 150ft. Maybe not a lot, but some.

I believe I will check out some specifications for these spools. From http://www.extreme-exposure.com/spool-specs.shtml , both 100' and 150' spools have a diameter of 3" and a width of 1.75".

From http://www.omsdive.com/reels.html , both spools have a diameter of 3" while the 100' length spool has a width of 1.17" and the 150' length spool has a width of 1.67".

Is half an inch that much bigger that it will cause problems?

:D

Cheers,
Bill.

i have seen the dive rite 150's and halcyon 150's and the spools are so tight. i could hardly clip of the jammed double ender.

double80s:
:wink: If anyone's interested, you can PM me and I can work out a member discount or something.

Will

Crap, who needs a further discount on a $30 spool? That's as cheap as they come!

I hope you know how to deploy that SMB or liftbag. If you get entangled in that line at 130ft, it's party time..........

Do you really want to be dealing with 150 feet of line in a current with all the entanglement issues? Or would you rather ascend until you start your deco stops/pauses and deploy from there?

Not always the best idea to wait before deploying. If its a wreck with a short slack water window and you leave it as planned when slack ends by the time you get to your first stop depth you can be a fair distance from the wreck. If surface conditions are poor that'll mean the bag may be hard to see if it comes up some distance from where its expected. In those situations it makes sense to bag off from the actual wreck itself.

I think hell just froze over...String and I agree! :D

String:
Not always the best idea to wait before deploying. If its a wreck with a short slack water window and you leave it as planned when slack ends by the time you get to your first stop depth you can be a fair distance from the wreck. If surface conditions are poor that'll mean the bag may be hard to see if it comes up some distance from where its expected. In those situations it makes sense to bag off from the actual wreck itself.

double80s:
Yes, it is a good deal. I wouldn't be discounting already discounted items :wink: I put up the Christmas specials after the original post.

Ho, ho, ho.

il be getting some soon:) by the way are your spools loose enough to clip a double ender at the side? ive seen way overfilled spools in my day.

Spoon:
il be getting some soon:) by the way are your spools loose enough to clip a double ender at the side? ive seen way overfilled spools in my day.

They are Barry Miller designed spools. Bolt snap fits in the holes pretty easy. The line covers part of the hole, but not enough to obstruct the path.

Back
Top Bottom