What Scubapro regulator is best for combating dry mouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That biofilter thing looks like a pseudoscience gimmick, an unnecessary added failure point, and another goddamn thing to maintain. Never seen one used in real life.

Just stay well hydrated (good hydration reduces DCS probability anyway!) and maybe swish some water in your mouth sometimes unless you're diving in very contaminated places. I suppose one could mess with a regulator to make it "breathe wet" but that has its own set of issues.

Rebreathers do provide moist warm air. Personally I don't notice much of a difference but I know CCR divers who bitch and moan about the dryness whenever they dive OC.

No matter how well hydrated I am, I always get a horrid dry mouth. Will take my reg out and get a bit of water in my mouth that helps some.

I had dry mouth when I started diving and I hydrate alot before dives. Many years ago I went with metal body seconds since it was supposed to help with moisture and was more durable than plastic. It did not change much for dry mouth and was alot heavier.
For any dry mouth now I pull the mouthpiece out a bit while diving and move it around to produce saliva. For decades that has worked for me.

That biofilter thing looks like a pseudoscience gimmick, an unnecessary added failure point, and another goddamn thing to maintain. Never seen one used in real life.

Just stay well hydrated (good hydration reduces DCS probability anyway!) and maybe swish some water in your mouth sometimes unless you're diving in very contaminated places. I suppose one could mess with a regulator to make it "breathe wet" but that has its own set of issues.

Rebreathers do provide moist warm air. Personally I don't notice much of a difference but I know CCR divers who bitch and moan about the dryness whenever they dive OC.
I agree, I would think that bio filter could possibly add mold. I got a great laugh out of "Coney Island White fish Biologist"!! I see those coney island white fish right across the bay here in rockaway all the time

I had dry mouth when I started diving and I hydrate alot before dives. Many years ago I went with metal body seconds since it was supposed to help with moisture and was more durable than plastic. It did not change much for dry mouth and was alot heavier.
For any dry mouth now I pull the mouthpiece out a bit while diving and move it around to produce saliva. For decades that has worked for me.
good to know the full metal does not make a difference sometimes, saves me money lol. Thanks for the feedback

The only true full metal Scubapro regs are the 109, 129 and 156.
I have many of them and they are still my favourite ones, despite having been built before 1980.
Said that, there are air humidifiers to be inserted on the hose betweeen 1st and 2nd stage:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom