What Scubapro regulator is best for combating dry mouth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if you're doing longer dives post certification, and the effect is more pronounced.

Perhaps eliminate the Gatorade pre-dive, and drink only water... At least to rule out all other factors.

It would be unusual but not totally insane to bring some drinking water in a pop-top bottle or small camelback. But don't mess with anything like that until you've got some more dives and are VERY comfortable removing/replacing regs.

After some health issues, i have been noticing dry mouth more than i had previously. It's not been bad enough that i hsve needed to address ity/but ic it comes to that i might try drinking liquid from a small resealable water pouch. If that isn't practical i woild recommend hard candy (like Jolly Ranchers) to stimulate salivation.

It would be unusual but not totally insane to bring some drinking water in a pop-top bottle or small camelback. But don't mess with anything like that until you've got some more dives and are VERY comfortable removing/replacing regs.
Funny you say that, I was reading how tech divers bring capri suns under and stuff like soup too. Id be way to worried that Id choke haha

Compressed breathing gasses such as Air or NITROX, by their very nature are extremely dry. To some degree, it may not be the regulator at all (in which case switching regs will not help significantly) but rather the low humidity of the gas that you are breathing.

I hate dry mouth (one of the reasons to love my rebreather) and when diving open circuit, I chew gum. While diving I keep the gum in the back of my mouth on the the bite part of the mouthpiece. When I start to feel like my mouth is dry, I take my reg out and give the gum a couple of chews. No more dry mouth. I have learned to inform my buddies so that they don't think I have lost my mind when I take my reg out and then put it back in a minute or so. I have been doing this for many years with no issues. I do have to be more careful when diving a fullface mask as I once had the gum fall out into the mask. Only happened once in maybe 1000 ffm dives but I do think about. No thought required on a standard reg/mask combo.

YMMV,

Jackie

Hello all, I am looking at some Scubapro regs but one major concern for me is getting a reg that will help combat dry mouth. I use a hog D3 zenith now and the dry mouth sucks!! What Scubapro reg would be best at eliminating dry mouth?
The best for drymouth is the 109/156. They are an all metal design with a decent amount of volume in the body (this allows the air to warm a bit more) and only a moderate amount of venturi assist, which helps IMO to have a nice natural inhalation sensation. These haven't been made in quite some time, but they're not too difficult to find used. These are my preferred cave diving 2nd stages because no matter how much I hydrate, a 2-3 hr dive will still dry me out.

If you're serious about them, you'll want to find someone (maybe rsingler or couv) who works on them all the time and understands the subtleties of the lever/poppet arrangements. They frequently need to be converted to a modern poppet and lever. Once that's done, they perform well and are very reliable.

Here's a photo of one of mine disassembled:

IMG_0504.jpg

The best for drymouth is the 109/156. They are an all metal design with a decent amount of volume in the body (this allows the air to warm a bit more) and only a moderate amount of venturi assist, which helps IMO to have a nice natural inhalation sensation. These haven't been made in quite some time, but they're not too difficult to find used. These are my preferred cave diving 2nd stages because no matter how much I hydrate, a 2-3 hr dive will still dry me out.

If you're serious about them, you'll want to find someone (maybe rsingler or couv) who works on them all the time and understands the subtleties of the lever/poppet arrangements. They frequently need to be converted to a modern poppet and lever. Once that's done, they perform well and are very reliable.

Here's a photo of one of mine disassembled:

View attachment 689485
Awesome! Im going to look into that tonight, safe diving and thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom