What magazines do you read / recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning or at least it is here!

I don't know if this topic has ever been covered, but I was wondering what magazine or other diving publications do you read and for what reasons? On base here we get three Rodale's, Skin Diver, and sport diver. I personally enjoy Rodale's for the information, and Skin diver for the pictures. Just curious.

Chuck

I read Rohdale's Scuba Diving, cuz it seems to cover what I want to read about. equipment, medicine, tips and tricks of the trade. Lots of fun

I believe I get Skin Diver with my DAN membership, but I've not received an issue yet [my membership is only a couple years old]. Aside of that, I have an Immersed subscription, and I read Advanced Diver when I stumble across it. Every so often I'll thumb through Rodales and Sport Diver if there looks to be something interesting, but I'm not interested in reading about travel destinations and marketing blab about new gear, I want some meat in the information I get.

Oh... I also have a subscription to Dive Training, which I enjoy since the meat to fluff ratio is pretty high in there!

Chuck,

The mags I get (too many!) and my opinion on each...

- Rodale's Scubadiving -- decent all around publication with travel info, gear reviews and diving tips. Lots of advertising, but it there is still a lot of useful data in there.
- SkinDiver -- the only reason I get this mag is through DAN. If I didn't receive it free through DAN, I would not order it. Seems filled with advertising and not much else.
- Dive Training -- great articles on gear, techniques, etc. Articles focus more on technique and gear than on exotic diving locales. I think I learn something new every time I read it.
- Alert Diver (DAN) -- great info on diving medicine
- Immersed -- a technical diving mag. It is kind of expensive (something like $4 or $5 per issue, published quarterly). Articles are interesting and are focused on advanced technical diving -- techniques and destinations.

-Chris

Dive Training Magazine - most meat
Skin Diver (through DAN) - purty pictures
Divers Alert (through DAN)
Undercurrent
Rodale's Scubadiving
Florida Scuba News

Somebody at Rodale's must be listening. The articles are getting better. This month they even have an article on Tech Diving.

Originally posted by Welshman
Don't know if you can get this in the US but Dive which is the monthly offering from the BSAC is quite good.

Not consistantly, but I found it in a random bookstore [unfortunately I don't remember which one carried it!!!!]

Yes, a good mag, but it didn't draw me enough to make the jump to a subscription... however if I stumble across it I'll buy it.

Thanks for the input guys. I came across another diving magazine while doing a search yesterday called "Fathom" it looked interesting from the web site. Any opinions?

Chuck

Originally posted by ChuckT
Thanks for the input guys. I came across another diving magazine while doing a search yesterday called "Fathom" it looked interesting from the web site. Any opinions?

Chuck

I also saw some advertisements in Rodale's I think about the Fathom magazine and I would like an opinion of someone that read it....

Thanks,

Manos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom