Anyone gone from an APSC/Advanced Compact to a Point and Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went from a full-size Nikon dSLR with dual Inon strobes to the TG-6 with two video lights. I am glad that I made the change.

I shot stills with the Nikon, and they were great photos. The TG-6 is not in the same ballpark as the Nikon in that regard, but the TG-6 gets batter macro with significantly more compact equipment.

Right now I shoot only video with the TG-6, but I plan to get a ring light for macro stills. Why shoot still photos when video is so much more interesting?

The TG-6 does a good job at getting decent video. The battery life of the TG-6 is abysmal in video mode. The battery barely lasts for one dive, and you will need to change the battery after every dive. The autofocus is only fair. The Backscatter video lights are great, as is the battery life. On night dives, I use the video lights as my primary dive light, and they're on for the entire dive. The manual white balance is great for video. I use a WhiBal card clipped to my BC for white balance. At depth (>80 feet) the video is grainy and kinda purple, requiring correction in the video editor.

I'm not one to make contact with the reef, so it's not possible to be steady enough to get macro video. Everyone whom I've ever seen shooting macro with the TG-6 makes contact with the reef to get those awesome macro shots, both still and video.

My old Nikon gear required its own small suitcase. Now, with the TG-6, I can carry everything in my carryon.

I went from a full-size Nikon dSLR with dual Inon strobes to the TG-6 with two video lights. I am glad that I made the change.

I shot stills with the Nikon, and they were great photos. The TG-6 is not in the same ballpark as the Nikon in that regard, but the TG-6 gets batter macro with significantly more compact equipment.

Right now I shoot only video with the TG-6, but I plan to get a ring light for macro stills. Why shoot still photos when video is so much more interesting?

The TG-6 does a good job at getting decent video. The battery life of the TG-6 is abysmal in video mode. The battery barely lasts for one dive, and you will need to change the battery after every dive. The autofocus is only fair. The Backscatter video lights are great, as is the battery life. On night dives, I use the video lights as my primary dive light, and they're on for the entire dive. The manual white balance is great for video. I use a WhiBal card clipped to my BC for white balance. At depth (>80 feet) the video is grainy and kinda purple, requiring correction in the video editor.

I'm not one to make contact with the reef, so it's not possible to be steady enough to get macro video. Everyone whom I've ever seen shooting macro with the TG-6 makes contact with the reef to get those awesome macro shots, both still and video.

My old Nikon gear required its own small suitcase. Now, with the TG-6, I can carry everything in my carryon.

Hadn't thought about using the TG-6 for video. I have mounted a GoPro Hero11 to the top of my current set up, and have gone that rouute. The video on the Sony RX100 is just not sharp or crisp as the GoPro.

I am considering it. A one inch sensor is plenty big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom