What length hoses do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by martinjc
Ok - now I am confused -

Martin...

I have spent a lot of time trying to formulate the right response here....

You won't understand all the reasoning behind certain configuration choices until a little later in your dive career....

There are very good reasons to go with a 7' hose but for your diving right now they are.... not apparent...

Can you attend a DIR fundamentals class anywhere within a reasonable distance? I know some folk travel accross the country to take a DIRF but what is reasonable to some is not to others :)

If you do not have a cannister light and do not intend to get one right away then it is ok to go with the 6' hose unless you are a little bitty fella and then maybe the 5' might be long enough. Don't do the 40".... (sorry Yoop.)

I think you should give him some reasons why you think the 40" won't work. You're starting to sound like a Jedi GUE advertisement (you won't know until you find the force or pay $$$ to take a GUE course, Luke) ;-)

Originally posted by large_diver
I think you should give him some reasons why you think the 40" won't work. You're starting to sound like a Jedi GUE advertisement (you won't know until you find the force, Luke) ;-)

work it will.... use it he should not....

This is one of the areas where a little personnal preferrence is "allowed". I think the 5' or 7' hose is more comfortable and allows for better routing (the 6' might work for some, but seems too short and too long). Some guys, like Irvine, don't seem to mind the 40" hose. All of the above are better than breathing the short hose, IMO.

Mike

OK - I'm 6'6" - and by no measure a 'little bitty fella' <S> - and I do not own a canister light, so I guess 6' will be my best option - I'll see if I can 'borrow' one at my LDS and try the hose routing...

Uncle Pug - my plan was to get a lot more dives under my belt (and AOW, Rescue Diver) before heading for a GUE course - I was thinking the fundamentals one looked the most interesting. I don't know of any in my area - so I will proabably have to travel.

I do like my snorkel....maybe I'll just have to get over it....

Thanks much for all of the input!

-Jim

Jim...

you a lucky man....

March 1, 2002
DIR Fundamentals class in Ohio taught by Andrew Georgitsis. On the first day the class will be taught in Port Clinton, at New Wave Scuba the second and third day the class will be taught in Findlay at Gilboa Qu.

Contact www.gue.com

If I had it to do over again, I would skip the "PADI" stuff (total waste of money) and get right into GUE. I believe Tech 1 only requires 75 dives, and you'll actually learn very relavent stuff.

The 7' hose is nice because there's enough of it to tuck inside your waste strap (the 6' hose can be a bit short for this) or hook on a knife. The 5' hose is short enough to fit under your arm nicely. You really don't see the 6' hose as often.

Good luck.

Mike

Originally posted by large_diver
Jim,

This class may be full (and too cold in March if you are diving a wetsuit)...but thought I would pass it on....

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4943

Columbus isn't THAT far from Findlay (I used to live in Cincinnati)

-Chris

Yikes!! Looks like it costs a little extra to fly Andrew out there from Seattle....

Well it is still cheaper than you flying out here :wink:

And a drysuit would be the ticket for CW DIR diving anyway...
(Did you really need an excuse to get one?)

Back
Top Bottom