What length hoses do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the type of diving I do, the above doomsday scenario isn't placed very high on my list of priorities. It's easier to just not allow things to get to that point (ie. being a good buddy and knowing your gear). I place things like a runaway drysuit/BC inflator and even a total wreck collapse above a failing backup reg at the precise time of an OOA emergency.
The backup reg (assuming the obvious) simply will not fail to the point of not eing able to supply you gas. The only regs that I have heard being able to do the are the Posiedons. If they fail, they can do so in the closed position.

With diving comes some risk, and you have to accept that. If you're looking for guarenteed safe, you're in the wrong sport.

:)

Mike

UP,

You forgot to throw in, while maintaining perfect buoancy and trim, while someone cuts your air off!

Even in the Fundamentals class I am looking at (no deco, overhead, etc) the no mask, loss of air, OOA, while keeping trim is a big part of the learning.

I agree with UP also that the situation described has nothing to do with DIR, my point previously, it may just be your time to go, the boat may sink on top of you, eaten by a big clam, etc.

Someone could run out of air at the same time that my tank explodes, there are many such scenarios.
My point in all of the "I forgots" is that using the brain is a big part of good diving.

Tommy

If worst comes to worst, you can also breath from your BC/wing inflator (exhaling into the water column), although it is supposed to be an absolute last resort.

Originally posted by bengiddins
If worst comes to worst, you can also breath from your BC/wing inflator (exhaling into the water column), although it is supposed to be an absolute last resort.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. Good one.

Mike

Originally posted by cybordolphin
Tommy...

Or you can just narrow it down a bit.

1) Your buddy runs out of air.
2) Your backup fails.

At that point, likely neither of you can surface alone If you have given up your primary.

The numbers say if you are forced to share a reg to the top....
you will likely have a total loss situation.

Its the only practice of DIR I need to get comfortable with.
In the first place, this scenario is not related to DIR.
In the second place, having a safe second fail concurrent with an OOA situation is remote in its possibility.
In the third place, if you're diving beyond the limits of your ability to perform a CESA you should have independently controlled air supplies yourself, thereby making the list of failures required for a buddy team to get down to a single reg all but entirely impossible.
In the fourth place, buddy breathing is not a big deal - I don't know where you ever got the idea that sharing a single reg is certain panic or death - it is not, and isn't even cause for alarm. If you've never practiced it then have at it. Relax.
Rick

Folks, I noticed that in all the excitement, no-one remembered to mention that "the long hose" is NOT stipulated as being required for OW dives.

There is a fair amount of mis-reading that happens, esp. on this subject, so try to fix it as you go along.

ttfn

Ok - now I am confused - I thought the long hose, bungeed second configuration was THE recommended DIR set-up. I am very new at this sport - I am planning my 6th dive when I visit FLorida in early March - and was considering going to this arrangement (5' primary house and bungeed seccondary) as it has always really sounded like a great idea.

My buddy and I were just talking about this last night. He was not really familiar with the set-up, but once I explained it, seemed intrigued (I directed him here for more info as he hasn't visited this board before.) I am headed to my LDS pool in February to get re-acquanited with my gear (haven't dived since it got cold) with my buddy, and was going to make the hose change before then.

Should I also exchange the faceplates on my Primary/octo (Apeks TX50/Apex TX40) so my primary is 'wearing yellow' as a reminder that 'this is the one to grab if needed'?

OK, an open water setup can use a 40", 5', or 7' hose for the primary. I dive with a 7' hose all the time because that's what I'm used to. That said, I have 5' hose coming with a new Apeks reg I just ordered. I'm going to play around with that too. I've played around with a 40" hose a little bit and thought it was fine for OW. I would recommend the 5' hose if you have no intention on doing overhead stuff -- I think it routes better than the 40" hose which just stick out there.

Forget about the colors. Location is the key. Get a black faceplate for $15 and be done with it.

Mike

DIR folks have often said that a shorter hose is probably adequate for most OW situations.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/OW_rig2_r.jpeg

Here is a picture straight from the WKPP site of George Irvine's own OW rig. Although the primary hose is a "standard" octo length of about 40", the intent here is to still dive with the short hose back-up necklaced around your neck. I am not 100% sure how he routes the primary -- certainly not around the back of his head, given the shorter length. I would guess it is either flapping in the breeze or routed under his arm.

I think this is a question you should think through for yourself and perhaps try in a pool. Does the config in the picture above work for you? Would you prefer having a little extra slack to work with (5-7' hose)? If you want to continue to use a snorkel, you may decide to stay with the shorter hose (longer hose routed around your head can get snagged on a snorkel).

Regarding the covers for your regs -- I don't think you should obsess about which one is colored what. My primary is black and my back-up is yellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom