What kind of tank do I have...see inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medcop

Reaction score
The tank is marked:

CTC DOT-3AL3000 S80 M4002

What is this tank? Who made it, what kind is it..and so on.

Anything you can tell me about it would be great!

I actually have two of them.

It is an 80 cubic foot aluminum tank made by Luxfer. The most common type of tank in North America.

Std Aluminum cylinder (3AL) holding 80cuft (S80) of gas when filled to 3000 psi (3000) made by Catalina Cylinders (M4002) aproved for use in the USA (DOT) and Canada (CTC) This cylinder is made from the AL6061 alloy. The other numbers on the cylinder will be the original hydro and serial number. I only mention the alloy because you live in FL where there is fear of cylinders made before 1988 that used AL6351. This is NOT the case no matter how old this cylinder is Catalina Cylinders have always used the AL6061 alloy.

Get them hydro'd if needed (which also includes a visual inspection - so no scuba sticker is needed for the first year after the hydro) and go splash them.

Just some basic info from a PSI Inspector.

captndale:
It is an 80 cubic foot aluminum tank made by Luxfer. The most common type of tank in North America.

Sorry but this in NOT correct - M4002 is the id for Catalina Cylinders. Luxfer uses an arrow looking sign in their hydro date.

Scared Silly:
Std Aluminum (3AL) 80cuft (S80) cylinder when filled to 3000 psi (3000) made by Catalina Cylinders (M4002) aproved for use in the USA (DOT) and Canada (CTC) that is made from AL6061 alloy. The other numbers will be the original hydro and serial number. I only mention the alloy because you live in FL where there is fear of cylinders made before 1988 that used AL6351. This is NOT the case no matter how old this cylinder is as Cataline Cylinders have always used AL6061.

Get them hydro'd (which also includes a visual inspection - so no scuba sticker is needed for the first year after the hydro) and og splash them.

Just some basic info from a PSI Inspector.

THANKS for the fast reply!

I figured the other numbers were the serial and original hydro date.

The have not had a hydro since 7/88 I assume as I don't see any other stamps on them. Their is a 7 some symbols of some type and 88 so I take it this is the original hydro / service date?

So...did I get a good deal for $20 each on these? They both have about 2800 of air in them now and holding steady so I know the valves are not leaking.

THANKS!

medcop:
THANKS for the fast reply!

I figured the other numbers were the serial and original hydro date.

The have not had a hydro since 7/88 I assume as I don't see any other stamps on them. There is a 7 some symbols of some type and 88 so I take it this is the original hydro / service date?

So...did I get a good deal for $20 each on these? They both have about 2800 of air in them now and holding steady so I know the valves are not leaking.

THANKS!

If they pass a hydro and vis - great deal. The other numbers are a serial number and the hydro. Original hydro will be two numbers (1-12) for the month followed by a "C" then the year, 88 in this case.

That said it is my understanding that there are shops in FL that will not fill any cylinders made before 1990 (or something like that). This is because of "problems" with the older Luxfer cylinders made with AL6351 (Do a search to learn more on this). You might talk with your local shops to find out their policy - who knows you might even educate them about the difference between a Luxfer and a Catalina made before 1990. Good Luck.

BTW - I take my cylinders directly to the hydro shop rather than a local shop. This what mosts shops do anyways as few are able to do a hydro. By taking them directly to the hydro shop you can often save a bit of $$. However, some shops may have a problem with you bring them in empty and want to do a visual inspection - even though they have come directly from the hydro shop.

SS......... I have a Catalina(orig. hydro in '86 & out of hydro @ this time)...Will it be OK if it passes a new hydro now???....ALSO, I have a Luxfer(orig hydro '85) with 'standard' markings ie DOT - 3AL 3000 S80, will it be OK if it passes a hydro now???....BTW, I live in Louisiana & will use them only in this state, filled thru La. dive shops, @ Toledo Bend & local rivers.......thanks.......

diver 85:
SS......... I have a Catalina(orig. hydro in '86 & out of hydro @ this time)...Will it be OK if it passes a new hydro now???....ALSO, I have a Luxfer(orig hydro '85) with 'standard' markings ie DOT - 3AL 3000 S80, will it be OK if it passes a hydro now???....BTW, I live in Louisiana & will use them only in this state, filled thru La. dive shops, @ Toledo Bend & local rivers.......thanks.......

The hydro shop *should* know what tanks are ok and which aren't. As was mentioned, you can do a google search and find out the specifics. Some tanks require an eddy current test if the came from manuf. that has had some sort of issues in the past. Such as the E6498, If I remember correctly. They require the hydro and the 3AL overstrike, basically re-certifying them.

I'm going from pure memory here. But, the nice thing is that after the tanks are hydro-ed, they are good to go.

Darin

diver 85:

Darin has most of it.

"In general" cylinders that pass a visual, hydro, and in some cases (e.g Aluminum cylinders made with AL6351) an eddy current are safe to use. There are some older aluminum cylinders that by law must be removed from service.

Of course as I noted - just because they have passed does not mean a shop will fill them.

As for these cylinders:

The Catalina cylinder is made with AL6061 and will need a hydro and a visual.

The Luxfer cylinder is made with AL6351 (Luxfer cylinders made before mid 1988 are AL6351) and will need a hydro, a visual, AND a eddy current. As of 1 Jan 2007 the hydro shop must perform all three tests. That said not all hydro shops are set to do the eddy current test.

Here is some more info on Luxfer's AL6351 cylinders

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/sustainedloadcracking.shtml

SS, what law are you referring to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom