What kind of fins with drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralSeaMan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have used split fins with my drysuit for over 100 dives. Recently I have been reading that many believe that split fins are not appropriate for use with drysuits. What is the basis for the concern? I do not understand why the factors that make split fins desirable for wetsuits make them inappropriate for drysuits. Can someone explain the issue fully?
Thanks

I don't think it has to do with drysuits. Many here do not like splits for any type of diving. I've never used them so I have no opinion.

I dive dry and am switching from Apollo Bio-fins(fins) to Jets. Its not because I'm diving dry but because I plan on doing cavern/cave and can not get the precision kicks with splits. I want to dive my setup before the class so I am comfortable so I will be diving only with my jets now.

Cavern is in three weeks! Woo hoo.

Miranda

I have dove Splits, Force and Jets with my drysuit. Not sure why other than as stated some people don't like splits. I prefer my jets, splits are ok but didn't care for force fins (my wife and buddies really like force fins though)

John Bowen:
I have used split fins with my drysuit for over 100 dives. Recently I have been reading that many believe that split fins are not appropriate for use with drysuits. What is the basis for the concern? I do not understand why the factors that make split fins desirable for wetsuits make them inappropriate for drysuits. Can someone explain the issue fully?
Thanks

When you take a drysuit into cold water with heavy undergarments most divers are less streamlined and wear more lead. That being said the raw power (think torque) of a paddle fin is often preferred over the speed of a split fin.

Like everything none of this is universal but it's common enough.

yeah... basically what spectrum said

if you are a big mass of mass underwater, you need stiff fins to push you through the water

i love stiff fins (Jet Fins, for exaple) because they are also priceless for delicate work, such as minor adjustments, backwards kick, helo turn, etc.

i'm not sure how well split fins can perform these tasks

I like the Apollo's the best for warm water diving. But they are so heavy I have switched over to my Atomics for travel (either the full foot of the open heel).

For dry suit diving I have been using some SP Twin Jet. Not my favorite fins as far as power, but the foot pocket is perfect for my attached boots. Note: my cold water diving is usually in the Great Lakes without a lot of current.

I like my Atomic Splits with my drysuit. The foot pockets are big enough on my XL fins (and the blade long/stiff enough...especially for a splitfin) to accomodate my attached boots (BAREs...on an Oneill suit...I'll explain later..lol).

Then again..I dive a neoprene drysuit, so I'm a bit more streamlined than some of the baggers on here...

Just my prefs..

Cheers,
Austin

Something with a massive foot pocket. I am a size 10 and some XLs dont work for me. I may have to go with a XXL or a turtle fin for drysuit diving

Back
Top Bottom