Trilam vs. crushed neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neoprene suits are better in the water, while trilam suits are better on the surface.

See the following for a summary: Dry suits-neo vs crush/ comp neo vs laminate vs fusion. How do they dive/feel?

When it comes to drysuits - a good fit is the most important factor. As its an investment that you will be using for the next 10-15+ years I would go custom/made to measure rather than what's sitting on the shelf of your local dive shop, even if that means waiting for a few months.

A custom suit means you can also add key features such as user-replaceable silica seals, fittings for dry gloves, neoprene socks (rather than fixed boots), decent pockets, a pee-valve and debatable color choices. Personally I wouldn't dive a suit without these features.

Dive gear manufacturers produce relatively simple, mundane items and need to find a way to compete with other manufacturers producing identical items. They do this by slapping 3-word acronyms on every feature and calling even the simplest demand valve, fabric or air-bladder-on-a-belt a 'technology' that separates them from the rest. In theory compressed is slightly warmer and more buoyant than Crushed (tm), but I wouldn't worry about the difference: I cant even tell if my old neo suit is crushed or compressed.

Cheers
Rohan

I've had both. I find a TLS to be more baggy, it doesn't stretch, and when trying to have minimal air in the suit I get black and blue marks from the folds. My CF200 (front zip) has considerable stretch, and fits my legs and arms more like a wetsuit than the baggy TLS. I only have one "fold" in the crushed neoprene suit at belt level around the waist. The rest of the suit fits quite smooth and is lofted evenly by my long johns.

One big difference, I am much less likely to get air trapped in my legs wearing neoprene - usually it is the opposite problem, I loose trim and insulation because I can't maintain an adequate bubble around my calves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom