Trilam vs. crushed neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having owned a Cressi (compressed neo) a DUI CNSE (20 years old) and an O'three Ri 2100, and also two trilams, an older aqulung trilight and a local brand, al i can say is trilam are lighter, and more common.
BUT a hipercompressed like the CNSE and the O'three will last decades, and are my favorites by far, specifically for wrecks and harsh environments
The Ri 2100 is on the heavier side, but is by far the best suit i've ever owned (custom made) in every aspect till now
The cressi is quite comfy but not so though

I'm trying to figure it all out fairly quickly since the LDS has a sale and Apollo neoprene and Apollo membrane suits will be more or less within shot of Seaskin neoprene or membrane suit. Seaskin is less expensive, but you wait a while to get one. They also have DUI suits on sale, and those are what I have been using so far, since those are what they rent. They are indestructible, otherwise they wouldn't be rental suits. Some must be getting pretty old, based on how faded they are. So, I'm pretty sure membrane suits will last. I understand that neoprene suits can also last a long time. DUI suits are above my pay grade, even on sale. I haven't seen much of anything used floating around that will fit me worth beans and that doesn't need to be rebuilt from pretty much ground zero.

I'll probably go one way or another in a week or so, but in the mean time, agonizing over it is a pretty effective way to procrastinate and think about diving instead of doing what I should be doing all day.

And to follow up, I probably should have been asking about compressed neoprene, since that's what the suits I'll be looking at are, not crushed neoprene.

... I'll probably go one way or another in a week or so, but in the mean time, agonizing over it is a pretty effective way to procrastinate and think about diving instead of doing what I should be doing all day.
I took the easy way out: I asked the opinions of very experienced people who were doing the type of diving (extended range, Great Lakes shipwreck diving) I was hoping to do, and then I opened my wallet! Never looked back. No buyer's remorse. (Well, I did have pockets added and a protective zipper installed when I had my original DS zipper replaced after owning my suit for about six years.)

ETA: If I were to make the purchase right now, I would order silicone wrist seals (to go with dry gloves) instead of the neoprene fold-under wrist seals I have on my suit. I've been watching a lot of videos about diving Iceland's Silfra fissure, and water temps there are barely above freezing--much too cold for me for cold-water gloves or three-finger mitts!

rx7diver

What's the difference between Neoprene, Compressed neoprene and Crushed neoprene

My Neoprene drysuits are made from Neoprene

Same as Wetsuit neoprene

Seaskin, but you wait a while to get one.

And how does this even enter into the equation, tailor made, are you getting married in it, tomorrow

Me no understand this

They are supposed to be tapered spiral stitched smootheskin 6-7inches long and lay flat against your skin

Man

neoprene fold-under wrist seals

Too much pressure for too little sealing, so change them

Too much pressure for too little sealing, so change them
Mine worked fine. Since my suit is custom, my neoprene wrist seals sealed fine without being too tight. And my wrists remained toasty beneath the seals and cold-water, gauntlet gloves on extended range deco dives down to the low 40 degree F range. Maybe 4" of smooth neoprene against my skin.

But, except for my very first time trying a drysuit (DUI TLS350 trilam, which had latex wrist seals), briefly, in a quarry, I've never worn a suit other than mine.

If I ever switch to dry gloves, I will need to change my wrist seals, though.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom