What I’ve learned in 100 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just learned when I made my 100th dive before public use of the Internet existed, we had more fun diving with less bullsh*t from other divers impacting our impressions of the sport.

I guess on one hand information from places like SB helps new divers and on the other it takes something away.

Last edited:
But you still can dive with a jacket or with nothing at all - rec diving just isn't a difficult or particularly demanding activity, it's easy by itself once you get the hang of it.

There is definitely one thing about SB that shows up nearly every day. All kinds of people will make broad reaching statements regarding a variety of aspects of diving which are 100% true for them, but not necessarily for a great percentage of the SB audience.

Just sayin'

Cheers and Happy New Year - M²

:cheers: and :newyear:

Agree with you about instabuddies. As with teenagers, a very few give the rest a bad rep. They've been almost all fine.

In my first 50 dives or so, I learned about diving from better buddies. So I tried to pay that forward as I gained more experience. I took Rescue at about 50 dives.

After 80-100 dives, in some ways I learned more from the occasional bad buddy-- about what not to do, and how to react to it when presented with the problem. (general motto: "I like good times, but I learn more from bad times").

And occasionally, I was the problem-buddy, and got helped by good instabuddy. Learned from that too.

At 100 dives I had learned that I love diving with my wife and taking your first dive trip to LCBR will hook you on dive travel for years to come. Happy New Year. :)

My 100th dive was so long ago (nearly 50 years) that I can't remember where it was or how I felt about my diving. Of course today I often forget why I just walked into the other room.

Back then I know I was still afraid of the landlord and didn't do night dives (or any dives after seeing "Jaws"). Today I no longer fear great whites or night dives. I still flail around like I did 50 years ago, but then I'm not looking for style points (one reason I dive solo most of the time).

You may not get much warning when you run out of air, and may have exhaled. Monitor your gauges consistently.

Requiring a buddy to dive is constraining; pursue solo training & certification for those times it may open up opportunities not otherwise available.

I didn't need nearly as much weight as I thought I did, and diving is better without the excess.

Skip breathing can cause a severe headache.

Not sure it was in the 1st 100 or not, but not every place you stay outside the U.S. has a convenient 24 hour Walmart available. Pack a decent selection of medications, including triple antibiotic ointment for abrasions, and use swimmers' ear prevention drops from time to time.

Tropical sun can cook you; sun screen is a good thing.

Get methodical about assembling your gear, and for that matter packing it up to take on the boat, or to take it OFF the boat when you leave. SO EASY (and can cost you dives or gear) to forget & leave something behind, or not hook up a low pressure inflator, or giant stride in without your fins, etc... Never mind buddy checks; get diligent with doing SELF checks.

Richard.

Sorry it's a bit long, but the "first 100 dives" got me thinking/reminiscing...

I learned during OW class that not everyone is immediately comfortable underwater. I had already planned a trip for me and girlfriend to dive old mines (open) in Minnesota. During OW we met a couple and talked about them coming with us. The instructor pulled me aside and recommended I don't do that as they were going to get certified but needed more structure for their first dives. By the end of class (after now paying attention), I agreed with him and enjoyed my dives with no worries.
I found I like any/all diving - from ice diving (wet suit!) to tropical waters.
I learned even smart experienced people can be very stupid/over confident. On my first trip I got to see a guy be very disrespectful to the dive operator and do a bunch of stuff I was just taught not to do. (someone who actually held some diving records and was a high IQ individual) We saw him get seriously bent. Saw the dive operation do what he said and not what they should have - took 24 hours to get him off the island and to real medical care. I'm not sure how he ended up but heard he was wheelchair bound months after trip. It made what the instructors said very real - paying attention to details, times, depths, etc. is always forefront on every dive.
I learned buddies sometimes don't tell you how uncomfortable they are. Had to stop a dive, grab my buddy by the bc and hold them still to calm them down when the night dive and surge got them near panic. Be honest when going into and during a dive!!
I learned fixing gear on the fly is doable. Spent 4 hours on Christmas eve in 0 degree weather out on the edge of the ice re-warming frozen gear, swapping regs, and adjusting gear for a 17 minute dive in a goose crap bottom covered quary - with DPV's! Still consider that a good dive - a buddy as crazy or more for diving was important for that one!
I learned my buddies - there were 3 of us on this dive - felt confident in me (and I was too after the dive) to leave me behind when on a night dive (different one). I stopped to film an octopus, turned around when I was done to find total darkness, not a light in sight! Although I did not surface after a minute (per training - but I would have been a long way from the boat), I felt confident finishing the dive - I assumed upon my return (along a wall) that the boat would still be there. After several minutes I saw flashlights in the distance, rejoined the group and had a great (and basically first solo) dive. Turns out they went over the wall out to open water to play with the bio-luminescence and said they felt I would be fine - which it turns out I was.
I have also learned that a solo dive is not a four letter word. ok well it is, both of them, but the point is with experience,
proper gear, and useful knowledge it can be a very relaxing and enjoyable endevor when a buddy is not available.
I've also learned you CAN fall asleep while underwater - sometimes safety stops are a bit too relaxing. I'm not sure I actually fell asleep, but pretty sure there were a few seconds of zzzz - more than once actually...
I've continued to learn on every dive I've been on. Skills, people, gear, etc. Advanced classes are good - diving after them to practice the skills is what makes them useful.

Lastly I learned that wanting to dive all my life was a correct feeling - from as young as I remember to now
(diving for 25yrs). I prefer warm water reefs but doubt I would turn down any dive I could make. Dive on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom