Question What is your tolerance for error in your SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would put money on the two transmitters sending different pressures due to accuracy differences.
No one would take that bet as just being "different". Please clarify your tolerance. My money is on being within π bars of each other (about 1% of full-scale error). Considering how much typical analog gauges vary, I certainly believe the PPS transmitters to be more accurate on average.

OK, curiosity won out... 16 psi /1.1 bar difference, After purging and retesting, the difference was 14 psi.
Yeah, I trust these to be more accurate than any of my analog gauges.
IMG_20230209_132108.jpg

Ha, I couldn't stand it either. Turns out I had 2 of my transmitters with me in PA and a single old 72 that was about half full. I tried it 3 times, always exactly the same. Varied by 2 psi but would be the same again on the next update. Both of these transmitters are PPS/Oceanic, one from 2012, the other almost brand new from 2022.

1675975403364.png
1675975432808.png

Both of these transmitters are PPS/Oceanic, one from 2012, the other almost brand new from 2022.
Are your batteries of comparable charge? I know mine are VERY different, which may contribute to my whopping 1 bar of discrepancy. 😉

I can't say I ever really pay attention to the numbers on my spg. I just look which way the needle is pointing. The only gauge I care about is my mixing panel gauges and I don't care if they are accurate, I just need them to be precise.

Are your batteries of comparable charge? I know mine are VERY different, which may contribute to my whopping 1 bar of discrepancy. 😉
Hard to tell. My transmitter is the new one from May of last year. I had a failure of the pressure relief valve on an older transmitter and Oceanic/Huish replaced it for $120. So it had a new battery and only has about 70 dives on it. The older transmitter is my son's. It had the battery replaced in 2019 but only has about 60 dives on it.

One tank, two transmitters, two computers. Do the two transmitters send the same pressure value or not?

I have 3 transmitters but 2 are in Florida, if I get no responses, I will try this sometime. I dive a single transmitter and a SPG

I can try tomorrow if no one gets to it before I do…on a flight back from Belize so can’t do it right now.

My tolerance toward fools is greater than my tolerance for SPGs. Zero tolerance for back gas; last stage: 50 bar or less since I've already calculated my Respiratory Minute Volume.

Back
Top Bottom