Question Should I replace my SPG with my new Shearwater Transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6965.jpeg

This is my 19 years old SPG that is still working well.

FWIW I'll chime in with a barely-qualifed opinion, and hopefully be able to update this in the long future.

I dive warm-water recreational no deco <30m usually not on home turf, approx 100 dives, with a Dive Rite FT1/XT4 reg set & Mini Tech SPG (Mini Tech SPG - Dive Rite) that I clip to my left-side waist D-ring.

I've just gotten a TernTX & SwiftAI, and Shearwater strongly suggest mounting the Swift on the same side as the computer (I wear mine on my left wrist), and also using an SPG as backup. For now, I'll keep the redundant SPG: 1) as a safety blanket, 2) it could help me get home if my computer fails / is unavailable, 3) it's useful for testing tank pressure pre-dive. I'm not worried about the additional o-rings, since I'm already relying on plenty in the rig. Also if either the SPG or AI fails, I can still judiciously choose to abort the dive. I might drop the SPG in due time, once I feel confident in the AI.

Screenshot 2024-08-11 at 18.26.05.png

So I've moved the SPG to my right-side HP port and will clip to my right-side waist D-ring, and added the SwiftAI on a 6" HP hose to my left-side HP port, so it pokes out over my left shoulder. The only downside I immediately see is I have a busy side of 3 longish hoses (40" primary, 22" alternate, 30" SPG) on my right and only 2 short hoses (22" wing inflator, 6" AI) on my left, and the 1st stage looks and feels lopsided when not mounted to the tank. Another upside that occurs to me is now I can access tank pressure info with either hand if I really need to.

Why do you have the transmitter on the left? Move it and the comouter to your right. (Move the SPG to your save-a-dive kit.)

Why do you have the transmitter on the left? Move it and the comouter to your right. (Move the SPG to your save-a-dive kit.)
Thanks for your POV!

As for left v right, 1) I wear my watches on the left wrist, so it’s muscle memory to look there, 2) the config of the FT1 has the HP port below the LPs and the short HP hose on the right interferes with the LP hoses above. Although I suppose I could reattach the hoses and invert the FT1.

I think the most likely change I would make from now is to remove the SPG to the SAD kit at some point.

FWIW I'll chime in with a barely-qualifed opinion, and hopefully be able to update this in the long future.

I dive warm-water recreational no deco <30m usually not on home turf, approx 100 dives, with a Dive Rite FT1/XT4 reg set & Mini Tech SPG (Mini Tech SPG - Dive Rite) that I clip to my left-side waist D-ring.

I've just gotten a TernTX & SwiftAI, and Shearwater strongly suggest mounting the Swift on the same side as the computer (I wear mine on my left wrist), and also using an SPG as backup. For now, I'll keep the redundant SPG: 1) as a safety blanket, 2) it could help me get home if my computer fails / is unavailable, 3) it's useful for testing tank pressure pre-dive. I'm not worried about the additional o-rings, since I'm already relying on plenty in the rig. Also if either the SPG or AI fails, I can still judiciously choose to abort the dive. I might drop the SPG in due time, once I feel confident in the AI.

View attachment 855465

So I've moved the SPG to my right-side HP port and will clip to my right-side waist D-ring, and added the SwiftAI on a 6" HP hose to my left-side HP port, so it pokes out over my left shoulder. The only downside I immediately see is I have a busy side of 3 longish hoses (40" primary, 22" alternate, 30" SPG) on my right and only 2 short hoses (22" wing inflator, 6" AI) on my left, and the 1st stage looks and feels lopsided when not mounted to the tank. Another upside that occurs to me is now I can access tank pressure info with either hand if I really need to.
I’ve found the side the transmitter is on is irrelevant. I’ve also found the 6” HP hose is also irrelevant. I have my transmitter on my right protected by my two LP hoses which route above it on both of my primary reg sets (AL Legend Elite & DR XT1/4). It connects without issue to both a computer on my left & my right wrist (I dive with two computers).

Yes.

I’ve found the side the transmitter is on is irrelevant. I’ve also found the 6” HP hose is also irrelevant. I have my transmitter on my right protected by my two LP hoses which route above it on both of my primary reg sets (AL Legend Elite & DR XT1/4). It connects without issue to both a computer on my left & my right wrist (I dive with two computers).
That’s interesting, thanks! Do you also run an SPG, or do without?

FWIW I expect if the transmitter was on my right shoulder it would still be received fine, and Shearwater are just covering their arses. Would you suggest maintaining my SPG on the left side?

As for left v right, 1) I wear my watches on the left wrist, so it’s muscle memory to look there, 2) the config of the FT1 has the HP port below the LPs and the short HP hose on the right interferes with the LP hoses above. I suppose I could reattach the hoses and invert the FT1.
I did as well at first. Then someone suggested the right so my computer wrist would not be occupied when I’m adjusting buoyancy. Probably minor, but I like my primary there. I have my backup on my left wrist (non-AI). I found this beneficial when doing a rescue course. No matter what was happening, I could check whichever wrist was less occupied.
I think the most likely change I would make from now is to remove the SPG to the SAD kit at some point.
Probably. Clip it somewhere for now, then make a note of how many times you actually needed to check it. The MH8A/Swift transmitters are pretty reliable.

My first computer was AI, and at the time, my regulator only had one HP port. I removed the SPG in favor of the AI. Current regulator has two HP ports. So, I could install the SPG if I wanted to. Never had a need, so I leave it off. I like the more streamlined setup as well.

This is my 19 years old SPG that is still working well.
Are you using your SPG in a boot or a console? If so, make sure you take it out of the boot/console when you wash your gear. I'm still using the SP SPG's I purchased new in 1987 and 1988. Their chrome is still shiny-bright with no hint of pitting or corrosion.

ETA: I don't use a PDC or transmitter.

rx7diver

I did as well at first. Then someone suggested the right so my computer wrist would not be occupied when I’m adjusting buoyancy. Probably minor, but I like my primary there. I have my backup on my left wrist (non-AI). I found this beneficial when doing a rescue course. No matter what was happening, I could check whichever wrist was less occupied.

Probably. Clip it somewhere for now, then make a note of how many times you actually needed to check it. The MH8A/Swift transmitters are pretty reliable.

My first computer was AI, and at the time, my regulator only had one HP port. I removed the SPG in favor of the AI. Current regulator has two HP ports. So, I could install the SPG if I wanted to. Never had a need, so I leave it off. I like the more streamlined setup as well.
Thats good intel, thank you. I'm lined up to take a rescue course later this year (probably PADI, given my preferred local instructor), and will bear that in mind! FWIW I barely touch my inflator, the Gulf sea water, BPW and thin suit (either a 3/2mm or when it's insane temps a 0.5mm) means I'm neutral with very little weight or wing displacement

I'll keep a mental note of how much I use the SPG and perhaps look to remove it soonish. It would certianly be nice to have fewer hoses.

Back
Top Bottom