what is your favorite cold water wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own an Aquaflite custom 7MM Farmer-John. So far its been a good investment. Service was great. Pricing is comparable to some off-the-rack models. Plenty of options to customize to your needs. One of the few custom companies that publish a price list on the web.

Good luck on your search.

I have the Bare Arctic SGS 7mm fullsuit and hooded vest. (Make sure if you get the Bare it's the SGS kind with the slick lining, much easier to get on). I got mine at divetank.com. My husband has the Xcel 9/7/6 with attached hood and likes that one as well.

I've got a custom Harvey's Dri-Flex Two-Piece Wet Suit. On many dives, I'm the warmest one of all. (Might have to do with my body, too...as I'm a furnace.) Harvey's makes a great suit. Yes, it's quite flexible, so it's easier to get into...but I haven't noticed any difference at depth either...

I've been to 47 degrees with it and been fine.

As many people have already mentioned, the biggest issue is fit. It has to be tight to your body or else water will flow in/out, causing major heat loss. I'll take my suit off after a two dive day and still have dry spots on the inside of the suit.

The biggest issue that may force me to go dry is value. Meaning this: Wetsuits will only last for so many dives. Each dive, they get compressed, and over time, they lose their ability to insulate. I dive a lot, so I don't want to be buying a new wetsuit every year or two. A good drysuit will last much longer. So even though it might be more expensive up front, it's a better cost/dive value. Something to consider if you do a lot of diving.

My two cents.

Um... the warmest one I have?

Seriously, I'm diving a Tilos 7/5 with a 7mm hooded vest. VERY toasty! However the warmest suit I've ever dived was an old M&B custom 7mm. Even when the legs "fell off" it was the warmest suit I had. Only bring it out for special occasions now... and in summer since much of the butt is now "missing" (but patched).

drbill:
since much of the butt is now "missing" (but patched).

So I guess you mean "butt patched", eh?

Hey Dr. Bill, I'll be back in Catalina waters in August, maybe we'll see you again.

(Old thread I know, couldn't resist)

Custom made by Polaris DiveSuits in Santa Cruz, CA. Skin-2-Side, Rubatex GN-231N, Farmer Johns w/spinepad, No-zip Jacket with attached hood.

Semi-dry is the way to go. Lots of them out there. I can recommend the mares isotherm if it fits you. It's nice to come out of the water with only mild dampness on your calves and arms - torso completely dry - and not have to deal with the drysuit drag.

I've never tried a semi-dry in REALLY cold water, how do they hold up? I used to use an O'Neil SuperSuit in CA. But that was an attempt to make a dry suit that wound up being semi<G>.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom