What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried it, and gave myself a headache trying to focus that close to my face.
You don't need to hold your gauge up to your eyes. :)
The air pocket acts in the same way as the one in a mask. You can see the same distance either way, it's just difficult to master keeping the air pocket in front of your eyes.

Divecraz, I don't think a VHF is a bad idea (in some circumstances).
On the coast (between Vancouver Island and the mainland) we have some sites that are exposed to strong ripping currents (caused by the tidal exchange being squeezed between the two). If one loses it there they are going for a swim in the strait. Not so bad for being lost at sea as there is a lot of shipping about for rescue but the shipping itself would probably be the biggest hazard. Nothing like getting rundown by a ferry. It would be nice to be able to curse the captain as he/she were doing it.

Max. Is this done in a prone or a vertical posture? I can't remember how I tried it before but I'm going to the pool on Wed. and want to try it again.

It would have to be verticle. Cup both hands and press the sides of your index fingers against your eyebrows, like an invisible set of binoculars. Exhale slowly to trap air in your fingers. It takes some time and luck to keep the bubble in front of your eyes.

It would have to be verticle. Cup both hands and press the sides of your index fingers against your eyebrows, like an invisible set of binoculars. Exhale slowly to trap air in your fingers. It takes some time and luck to keep the bubble in front of your eyes.

this sounds cool for a general situational check and is a good trick to keep in the bag but am i wrong to assume the bubble bursts when you move your hands away? if so, it would make gauge checks impossible.

I can make more noise clapping my hands than I can with a shaker, so if I need to get someone's attention I just do that. I take the usual multiple cutters, sausage, spool, whistle. I have a DAN tag on my gear that can double as a signal mirror. I prefer to use a pony than rely on someone else or doing a CESA.

I decided to get one of these. I'm waiting to see if I can track down my bloodtype, but might end up just getting it without that info. I did notice, however, that the Tag has 919-684-8111 as the DAN Emergency number, but my card and the website list 919-684-4326 for Emergencies and 919-684-9111 for out of US emergencies. A google search showed that -8111 is the main operator number for Duke Hospital in Durham NC, which DAN is based out of, so one should know you have to declare "scuba diving emergency" when calling. Just thought that might be helpful.

I agree with most statements regarding the amount/type of safety equipment. I like to take some time when I'm just in the quarry to review and repeat as many procedures as I have air for, everything from mask removal to OOA. Education shouldn't end in class, and a big log book is no excuse to forget the basics.

Maybe they don't teach this skill any more, but you can cup your hands against your forehead and exhale some air, creating an air pocket in front of your eyes just like a mask.

Its a party trick and of no real use in the real world. Fine in a pool with perfectly still water, bright lights where you dont need to move your hands for anything at all. In the sea it simply wont work.

Divecraz, I don't think a VHF is a bad idea (in some circumstances).

A VHF handheld is going to have a very low range when the antenna is only 1" above the sea, especially if there's any swell.

Response to DaleC and Strand

DaleC, I started carrying the vhf radio when we started diving the wrecks off of Hatteras in N. Carolina. We always went on a 6 pack. With the dives being 50 miles or so off shore and few boats if any in the immediate area, with a very strong current at times, I thought the easiest way to get the boats attention for the smallest cost in case we got blown off the line or the boat had a problem was the radio. The radio is in a otter box which fits in my bc pocket which I've taken to over 130' without any problem, so I see no reason not to carry it at all times just in case of that one unlikely event where I would really need it. I have had a time or two when the boat couldn't hear the dive alert and no one was looking in our direction at the right time, which just showed me how easy it would be to be overlooked and stranded in the water. I've never had to use the radio but how easy would it be to have just called the boat on the radio when you read of how many accounts of someone getting stranded while they can still see the boat but the boat doesn't see or hear them. I figure it's relatively cheap insurance at $150 and depending on the radio you can easily be under $100. Mine is rated to a depth of 5' for 30 minutes, holds a charge for months, and is the smallest available for the price.

String, Your response was typical of what I got when I first mentioned the radio years ago. Yes you are absolutely right that the radio range is around 5 miles under perfect conditions since it is a line of sight reception. I can easily hear the boat radio conversations while sitting at home at 2 miles from the shore line. The radio certainly gives much better range than a dive alert, shouting, etc. and when you add up the cost of your assorted safety/signaling devices, $100 for a radio is cost effective. A overhead airplane/helicopter would not have a problem picking up the signal as a boat may have that is a few miles away in large swells. I always tell the captain I have a radio and ask what channel he monitors in case of a problem For the small cost and ease of carry, why not take it. I think that couple that were diving maybe a year ago (Australia?) that could see their boat for many hours and see planes over their head using a camera flash to signal them would've given anything to have had a radio despite what drawbacks it might have. I dove with a operator in Key Largo many years ago, who just a few months after I dove with them left a couple over night and never reported them missing. The diving is very easy in Key Largo so in my opinion the ease of the dive should not dictate removing safety equipment. They hung onto a buoy through the night and was picked up by a passing boat the following morning. There are no perfect safety devices, everything has a pro/con benefit to it. I have never had any problem with being stranded or come close to it, but I have no control over what happens on the surface and don't want to assume everything will always be perfect regardless of where I'm diving. So, considering all the issues I don't see any reason valid enough for me not to carry the radio at all times.

divekraz, i like your thinking. what kind of radio are you using? one of those "cobra" type 2-way walkie talkies, or something from a marine supply store? (sorry i know very little about marine safety equipment beyond the simple scuba stuff)

also can someone who's carried a space blanket in their pocket on a salt water dive comment as to how it holds up? does the metallic material not rust? i only used on while in the boy scouts...

thanks, Luke

also can someone who's carried a space blanket in their pocket on a salt water dive comment as to how it holds up? does the metallic material not rust? i only used on while in the boy scouts...

Apparently, not very well, although its possible that post is theorizing. If true, I would guess that the crinkles and creases let water underneath causing the aluminum to flake off, or the crinkles and creases break the oxidization layer and expose more of it to oxygen.

I keep one in a ziplock, to try and keep it dry, hoping this will avoid those problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom