What is too much safety !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trying to get to why the gun is loaded on orange divers' avatar?
See you topside! John

Thanks to all for the discussion re: VHF. I know it can get a little heated but batting around new/different gear is always helpful. Ba, I am interested in your (and others) comments re: eprbs such as the one string recommended. I am wondering about range and if they would be noticed right away and if a response would be automatic.
First get the basic safety stuff, flares, mirrors, maybe smoke, dye or rockets. Then the electronics.

Older style EPIRBs (ELTs PLBs, 121.5 or 243mz, or 'class B' units) should be avoided. New 406mz are ok, but get a unit with GPS built in, positions from this kind are more accurate, and are available quicker than the other type. Expect hours between activation and rescue (in the general case in US waters), not minutes. Some areas have good capabilities, and you can expect fast rescue. Other areas have lesser capabilities, and will respond less quickly. But remember in these areas the rescue capabilities are less and any help (even a call from a US based rescue unit) will be very helpful. In some areas the response you get may depend on the number of other calls that are being handled. By the time that the location info from a gps reaches a rescue agency it can be several hours old. In an area with variable strong currents this may not help much.

Many publications indicate that US rescue assets can be deployed in 10 minutes, but this only applies if the assets are ready to go when the alarm comes. Prior to activation of rescue units, current protocols require a phone call to the registered owner. If someone answers and says the proper (alarming) things, like hubby is diving on the xxx, 50 miles out to sea and would only activate in an emergency, response will be accelerated. Coast guard units are just adequate (or perhaps a bit less) and often a rescue unit is not on standby, particularly on a good weekend when many weekend sailors are getting themselves in trouble. Helicopters also take an amazing amount of maintenance, and this reduces availability.

A current unfortunate situation is that most search resources to not have 406mz homing or DF equipment. None of the US Sheriff, news, or military aircraft can receive it. US CAP aircraft can't receive or home on it, like they can on 121.5mz. Most coastguard equipment can not either. In europe capabilities were better, in asia worse. This will be resolved with time.

Often a mirror, noise maker, or smoke will allow quicker rescue, if your dive boat has just misplaced you. If your boat has sunk the EPIRB is clearly the best option. In remote or very exposed locations I would probably use one. I have though about it on Channel island trips, particularly on the west side, but haven't done it. Too much local rescue capability and with smoke and sky rockets (aerial flares) i think i am good.

Good points ba_hiker. Most of the recommendations of EPIRBs don't focus on the time to actual rescue, just the speed at which the distress signal is sent out. A VHF radio just might come in handy when what you really want to do is hail a nearby boat.

Although a little off point, (what is to much safety?) the spear gun loaded topside is NOT safe!!!!
See you topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom