What is the "typical" surface interval for two tank boat dives in Cozumel?

What were your surface intervals for two tank boat dives in Cozumel?

• 30-40 minutes

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 40-50 minutes

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 50-60 minutes

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • longer than 60 minutes

Votes: 59 56.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you would enjoy using Nitrox on your future dives. It's an economical course and easy certification. You seem to be good with numbers and Nitrox would be an advanced step forward in your diving adventures. Call before your next vacation and they can set it up for you.

Too late - I have been Nitrox certified since 2005.

According to my dive log (electronic download and printed from my Oceanic ProPlus 2.1) during the Cozumel Invasion, none of my SI were less than 60 minutes.

I bought the whole family Oceanic computers -- myself,wife, and two sons. I felt like Suunto's were so conservative as to be inaccurate. How much is inaccurate gear worth? Not much in my book.

How can you call them "inaccurate"? The entire nitrogren loading / offgassing is still theoretical. Every single person has different physiology, and what works for one doesn't mean it works for another. There are still cases of "undeserved" DCS hits, so to claim that Suunto is using a bad model is wrong.

THEY need to off gas more than the vacationers. And even with the nitrox I give Pedro on every 2nd dive (and other DM's when diving more than 2 tanks a day) - the extra off gassing time is good.

Why not every dive since it is apparently available ?

---------- Post Merged at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Too late - I have been Nitrox certified since 2005.

But are you using it ? Getting certified and not using it when it is available just doesn't make sense...

---------- Post Merged at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I bought the whole family Oceanic computers -- myself,wife, and two sons. I felt like Suunto's were so conservative as to be inaccurate. How much is inaccurate gear worth? Not much in my book.

How is conservative comparable to inaccurate ? You can buy the best gear in the world but if you don't understand the concept behind the gear, they indeed are not worth much more than a paper weight...

Why not every dive since it is apparently available ?

You must not be familiar with Cozumel diving.

There are several reasons why, but primarily because the typical first dive is a wall dive with potential downcurrents. My DM is on air in the event that he has to go make a rescue beyond O2 MOD's, or gets pulled down himself.

It's also VERY expensive here and simply not necessary on every dive if you properly plan dives and SI's.

Are you not over-analyzing this? Hundreds of people dive every day in Cozumel using all different kinds of computers, including Suunto. I recall your other thread from a few days ago, and I refrained from commenting because I didn't think I had anything to add (and I still don't, but since when does that stop people?).

What is your actual concern behind these threads? Are you: (a) concerned about DCS in Cozumel, or (b) concerned your computer annoyingly will go into emergency deco? If it's (a), do you have reason to believe there is a higher incidence of DCS in Cozumel than other popular dive regions? If so, please share the information--and I'm not being snarky here, as I really am curious since I dive in Coz occasionally. If this is a valid concern, then there may be a larger problem with Coz dive ops than what computer one uses. And yes, the surface interval stats would be interesting. If there is some reason to believe that dive ops in Coz are not following as conservative practices as dive ops elsewhere in the world and that's leading to a higher incidence of DCS, then that would be interesting to know. A possible way to deal with it would be to emphasize to your dive op that you are a relatively conservative diver and outline what you expect the dive profile to be like. Pick one of the dive ops that people here on SB have recommended again and again. SB is a great resource for that. But this doesn't really have anything to do with what computer one uses.

On the other hand, if your concern is not (a) but rather only (b), it seems to me that you just don't like your Suunto, and your "problem" would be solved by buying a different computer. I have a Suunto D6 and my dive buddy (wife) has a Suunto Cobra 3, and we like them very much. I KNOW Suunto is more conservative than many other computers, and that's the primary reason I went with Suunto rather than another computer. On rare occasion, this has led to us ending our dive earlier than others in our group. When it happened, we saw it as insurance and an indication that it was probably just as well to call it quits for the day and have a margarita. To agonize over your Cozumel trip simply because, at the root of it all you don't like your computer seems like an exercise in frustration. Just get a different computer and acknowledge that you're not as conservative a diver as you thought you were when you bought the Suunto.

You must not be familiar with Cozumel diving.

There are several reasons why, but primarily because the typical first dive is a wall dive with potential downcurrents. My DM is on air in the event that he has to go make a rescue beyond O2 MOD's, or gets pulled down himself.

It's also VERY expensive here and simply not necessary on every dive if you properly plan dives and SI's.

I dive caves on the main land (2009, 2011 and coming november).. all of them with nitrox 32 and I really do not think it is expensive... How much more expensive can it be in Cozumel ? What is your DM's health worth ?

My personal view is to dive nitrox when it is available... even on what some call bunny dives...

We did 27 dives with Blue XT Sea over two trips in 2008. Checking my log all but one SI was over 60 minutes (75 minutes was typical). The one under 60 minutes was 59 minutes and the second dive was at Paradise Reef with an average depth of 22 feet.

Also checking my log 13 dives in Grand Cayman in 2009 all surface intervals were under 60 minutes (around 50-55 minutes) even though we usually hit 100 feet on the first wall dive.

Last edited:
I dive caves on the main land (2009, 2011 and coming november).. all of them with nitrox 32 and I really do not think it is expensive... How much more expensive can it be in Cozumel ? What is your DM's health worth ?

My personal view is to dive nitrox when it is available... even on what some call bunny dives...

OMG!!! Don't even go there!!!! I am actually one of the only ops I know of that even provide nitrox to my guides at all!!! There are days he says he doesn't want it and I get it for him anyway! And BTW - he doesn't WANT it for first dives because the potential of putting his HEALTH IN DANGER is not worth the risk! You are clearly trying to thump your chest and I am not playing your elitist tech/super diver game. I have plenty of well respected tech diver friends and colleagues that I also respect, but I know your type and will not feed your ego! You clearly know more about me than I do, know more about how I treat my employees and know more about running my operation that I do.

And good for you for diving nitrox when it is available - so do I and so do my guides when they request it and even when they don't! Cave diving and wall diving with currents are two different animals - apples to oranges! You made my point, you've never even dove Cozumel!

BTW - I will not respond or justify anything to you, so save your energy! I see a pattern in your posts, and it is to be combative and condescending!

Christi makes a very valid point. The missus and I always try to dive Nitrox, but I am not the DM. I can see a DM needs to balance the risk chronic nitrogen loading regularly versus the risk of acute O2 toxicity on the slim chance of having to go deep for a rescue or even a 'hey, ding dong, get back up here." On the deep dives, the group can be relatively close to the limits of nitrox, depending on the blend. A diver would not have to go down far to cause a real risk to the DM, I wouldn't think.

Back
Top Bottom