What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The perfect car for diving is a boat, however...

Years ago there were "Helms Bakery" trucks that would drive around the neighborhood in Lancaster, CA where I spent my first 14 years of existance. Desert community...funny, huh? Anyway, in the back, the double doors would swing open outward and inside were very varnished wood drawers that had pastries, donuts, etc. I hope to someday buy one of these and fully restore it with the pull out drawers holding scuba gear. How cool is that. Helms had a neat decal on the trucks that looked like a red,white and blue chevron...need to research that.

I believe they were GMC panel trucks. I see one every so often and they NEVER look like they have been taken care of...probably a big, gas guzzling V-8.

...or I'll buy a boat.

Well, gotta go now. I need to adjust my Rainbird sprinklers to "discourage" the little Halloween goblins from shaking me down for a sugar high tonight. Works every time! This year I plan to add a motion sensor to enhance the effect.:eyebrow:

Jon

From personal experience, the best SCUBA car is a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. Absolutely no cargo room for your gear, but it's a giant four-door middle finger to OPEC, Exxon, and all their friends. That's worth it right there :D

Best tank: 59.7 MPG. Lifetime: 53.2 MPG :14:

IMG_1008_M.jpg

or a h1 with a bumper sticker saying you hate people who buy cars like that just to stick it to the oil companies.

Ford Explorer...

--Plenty of cargo room with rubber mat to protect carpet...

--Number-pad Entry which allows me to leave the keys locked inside while I go diving.

--A tad bit better gas mileage than its big sister Expedition...

...and... Just in case I go DIR, I got it in black......

OK...kidding.:D

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump

:D

I have a 2005 Nissan X-terra. A non carpted -wipe down cargo area.

JanR:
Ford Explorer...

--Plenty of cargo room with rubber mat to protect carpet...

--Number-pad Entry which allows me to leave the keys locked inside while I go diving.

--A tad bit better gas mileage than its big sister Expedition...

...and... Just in case I go DIR, I got it in black......

OK...kidding.:D

/start bad joke
But is the number-pad entry DIR?
/end bad joke

Jorbar1551:
i dont think i want a mini van. it may be good for scuba diving, but im 19 years old...i need something to look good in

If you say so, I agree that Honday Element will be the best option for your weekend rec. diving trip (price and gas mileage). It is a brick design so that you can utilize the cargo area as much as you can. You might go with a little cheaper with Scion XB depending on your parent’s budget.

But, IMHO, SUV and Truck aren't an ultimate diving vehicle option because it doesn't hold the equipment that much compared to the VAN. Definately, you need the roof and no back seat features to hold more space. I am also using the Honda CRV (also brick design) at this moment, it is OK for the weekend trip, but you can only load up to four doubles and four Rubbermaid boxes for two divers. That's it…….

For the example of the ultimate diving vehicle, here are some pictures from TDS.
Another way is a scuba trailer (at least 5X10 foot and 6ft height dimensions).

http://home.insightbb.com/~museindy/images/49AS_034_Small_.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~museindy/images/49Img_1239.jpg

I gave up using "img" function. It never works on our board again... Hue~~~~~:confused:

Girls seem to like guys who spend lots of money.. get the Van.. a bumper sticker that says "My scuba toys cost more then your toy cars" and another that says "If this van is a rockin, don't laugh, it might be your daughter"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom