What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I drive my trusty vw golf hatch-back which I love dearly. She has taken me to and back from many a dive trip. I usually put a plastic tub in the trunk area and throw all the wet gear in after the dive...

now as much as I love my Golf, after a lot of dives I have come to the conclusion my next "car" will be a truck. They have alot of room, which I will need since me and my buddies are getting into uw photography and the gear boxes are starting to pile up!:D

snhrph:
Jeep Grand Cherokee will haul all your dive gear, camping supplies, bike on the roof rack, you and your buddy. These SUVs are priced right and are a great value used. Get the Laredo trim with a 6 cylinder engine (basic configuration); it will get the job done while providing a decent gas mileage. It is also the most capable SUV today: I took my 2002 on a dirt bike track, switched into low gear, and went through the entire track without a problem.

This year I upgraded to Lexus GX 470. Awesome truck. I drove it from New Jersey to 1000 Islands with 4 people, 2 sets of dive gear, vacation supplies and other stuff in July.
I have only 2 complaints: 16 mpg combined is a lousy gas mileage and the fact that my wife drives it. :rofl3:

I will get a Jeep Grand Cherokee again next spring when I retire my other car.
if your gonna get a used one get a 02-05

after that they did some changes like ifs blah
the 00 to 01 they had a few issues with some of the new drive train components..
nothing crazy bad, just little annoyances

if your a jeep fanatic. (like me)
go here. good peeps and alot of fellow jeepers in NJ area
www.jeepin.com
i live on that forum

Take mine.....

ke70_4.jpg

ke70_5.jpg

ke70_2.jpg

At least I dont have to worry about rust from salt water.....

Cheers,
Rohan.

Ford Excursion. I've added they hybrid logo next to the V10 logo on the tailgate to piss off the tree huggers, they look at it very confused ...

chrisc:
Ford Excursion. I've added they hybrid logo next to the V10 logo on the tailgate to piss off the tree huggers, they look at it very confused ...
now thats funny right there

Nice Corolla ya have there, Tassie. :D Bad as it looks, it's a testament to the sturdiness of Toyotas. There's a BBC show called "Top Gear" which has been shown in the US and Oz that has a couple of episodes in which they literally tried to destroy a Toyota HI-Lux pickup by submerging it, burning it, driving it through a barn, finally they put it on top of a high-rise structure that was imploded -- it still ran!

Anyway, I digress. I have a Toyota RAV4 that has been a fantastic vehicle and served me well for my cert dives. It's a small vehicle but the interior is very flexible if you only have yourself or one pax. I'm glad to see there are a few other votes for the RAV. :14:

I'm not surprised to see that the Honda Element gets good marks here also. I'm not familiar with that model, but my wife has a CRV (her 3rd, actually) and they are also fine vehicles.

I couldn't see it in this thread but I also know the new Toyota FJ Cruiser has been praised on some boards. They're larger than the Element but share some characteristics like rubberized flooring, etc. It won't help the OP if he's looking for a used car, but might be worth a look by others.

a retired ambulence seen someone with it in cave country room for all gear nothing to pull and you can sleep in it plus ac and heat

although i personaly drive a jeep wrongler with a 12x6 enclosed trailer for all my gear and a nice warm place to put on dry suit in cold weather just add a generator and a air mattress and you have a place to sleep and dress plus you can lock up the trailer and drive out to get food lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom