What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 1965 VW Microbus. Holds all my gear, easy to repair, and looks great!

I really like my 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee just drive right down the beach and jump out with your gear.

You'd look quite good in the Ferrari mentioned by ScottB.

On a more realistic note, I drive an Audi A4 around town and have a beat up old Chevy AstroVan for diving. The read doors open sideways with direct access to vertial tank racks. Very easy to put on your BCD/tank. I removed the middle seats for storage. I've got wash buckets and entertainment. I also installed an awning system to provide shade and protection from rain and a curtain hangs around the whole thing to make changing into dry clothes very easy. Of course before changing, I've got a hot water shower provided by a Sun Shower which sits on the roof during the dive.

Clearwater:
Nice Corolla ya have there, Tassie. :D Bad as it looks, it's a testament to the sturdiness of Toyotas. There's a BBC show called "Top Gear" which has been shown in the US and Oz that has a couple of episodes in which they literally tried to destroy a Toyota HI-Lux pickup by submerging it, burning it, driving it through a barn, finally they put it on top of a high-rise structure that was imploded -- it still ran!.

Yep - I do around 1000 km a month of no-road driving and living out of these. Back makes a good kitchen with a portable stove and converts to a makeshift office with the seat down. Hand a waterbag from the roofrack for that once a week shower...

P6210002.jpg

Just about indestructible...

When you get out doing remote work for NGO's/mining groups/government organisations in third-world countries Toyota's are the only cars you see. For good reason. Landcruisers for off road and Hiluxes if there’s anything slightly road-like. Turn up to a mine site in anything else and you would be laughed at.

Only time I see Jeeps, Nissans, Fords, etc is where I’m approaching a city or a sealed road.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I disagree with jonnythan, those smaller cars can hardly fit one person's dive gear, never mind more than one. I drive a cavalier :( and it is so full with 2 peoples gear that the trunk and the back seat is completely filled, and that is without a lot of extra gear coming along. And the car drives like a pig after that. Subaru, element, and a small pickup sound good because they have a bit bigger engines, but those other cars are so small.
And by the way, H3's are definitly ugly, but H2's rule

Tassie_Rohan:
Yep - I do around 1000 km a month of no-road driving and living out of these. Back makes a good kitchen with a portable stove and converts to a makeshift office with the seat down. Hand a waterbag from the roofrack for that once a week shower...

P6210002.jpg

Just about indestructible...

When you get out doing remote work for NGO's/mining groups/government organisations in third-world countries Toyota's are the only cars you see. For good reason. Landcruisers for off road and Hiluxes if there’s anything slightly road-like. Turn up to a mine site in anything else and you would be laughed at.

Only time I see Jeeps, Nissans, Fords, etc is where I’m approaching a city or a sealed road.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Topgear tried to get one of these to stop running on one episode a couple of years ago. They sunk it, TWICE, filled it with mud, crushed it, and it would still start up.

I have a Citroen Berlingo

http://www.citroen.com/CWW/fr-FR/RANGE/PrivateCars/Berlingo/default/

Which I'm finding to be a very satisfactory diving car. It has all of the coolness of Gomer Pyle and my colleagues who mostly drive fancier cars laugh at me for it but you can easily transport all of the gear for three divers plus the divers and it's small, affordable, good on gas and the back end is the perfect height for holding up and putting on/off a set of doubles.

I don't think I would have bought this if I still lived in Canada because it doesn't have 4wd but if you don't need a 4x4 then this might be a good option.

R..

Back
Top Bottom