What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calscubagirl:
I've had pick up trucks since I was 17 yrs old. You don't want to know how many, lol.

Just last year I bought a loaded Ford Excursion. the mother of all ford SUV's. My husband calls it a big black loaf of bread. You can fold the 2 rows of seats, sleep in it, change in it and haul the gear and even watch a movie during SI if you want :) When the seats go down it's huge. The size of a pick up bed if not possibly a foot longer. I can leave any left over gear inside and not have to worry about getting things ripped off in the back of a pick up truck....(unless of course they took the whole truck).

Yes, the Excursion is a gas hog but, it also has a 40 gallon tank. I can usually get 400 miles out of 1 tank of gas.

Lol same here my mom and dad have had soooo many truck's, we had ford f150's 4door's mini truck's small truck's lol just too many to count.personaly i would go with the ford expodition, lol but i'm only 14 so i can't drive for alittle while:14:

I second the suggestion for the Honda Element. Dependable, room for people and a storage area big enough for tanks etc that can be washed out as it is plastic and rubber.

Pickup trucks are best if you don't care about gas mileage, or much use outside of scuba. Vans also have their place.

In my mind, the best mix of scuba utility and around-town real-world use is the Honda Element. Decent gas mileage, Honda reliability, good price, super easy access to the interior, tons of cargo room, and an interior you can both sleep in and hose down. What's not to like?

And I'm getting one in February.

honda_element_2.jpg

04-element-interior-2.jpg

honda element's hmmmm.... good gas mile's,more room...I'll take it!!! lol

i still like the ford expodition's thou.

Another benefit of the pickup truck: No day-after stench in the closed car where your gear was stowed overnight. I had a number of rainy days-after-dives this year, got home late, etc, when I just left the crap in the car...only to be greeted by the stench of death the next morning.

That being said, I really like my little RAV4 for hauling my junk, although with more than one, I'd opt for my Suburban. All-time favorite was the Pathfinder, because I'd installed a plywood floor in the back with fork mounts for my mountain bike...take it out, hose it down, let the sunwork on it.

One dude I know has a pickup with a cap over the bed -- and inside, he has customized it to hold EVERYTHING for diving...he's got reels (which size?), hanging from hooks, spare regs, tank holders, built-in toolbox, you name it. Only problem is that this also looks like an advertisement for "come on in and steal my stuff" with the windows. So he parks it in a garage at home. But an incredible set-up, and also odor-free...

calscubagirl:
Yes, the Excursion is a gas hog but, it also has a 40 gallon tank. I can usually get 400 miles out of 1 tank of gas.

That's it? I have an '03 Suburban and can make the haul from Philadelphia to central New Hampshire (432 miles, to be exact), and still have some fuel left in the 30 gal. tank.

Can't argue with the room and horsepower, although filling it from empty when gas hit $3/gal was more than a little painful. Hence my little 'yota.

A big consideration here, I think. If I should happen to roll my vehicle loaded with scuba gear, I have a better chance of survival if the cylinders are not in the passenger compartment with me. I like that safety edge my Tacoma (or any pickup) provides.

My vote for the perfect scuba car is my Honda Civic.

What makes it perfect is that it's sitting in front of my Maui condo. :banana:

On a more serious note, unless you are trying to haul around a whole bunch of scooters, doubles, etc., then just about any car will do.

The environmentally friendly answer is the car with the best gas mileage that will still take you and all your gear safely and comfortably.

Jeep Jeep Jeep Jeep

i have a YJ , and my wife has a XJ
my YJ is fine for 2 rec divers, and perfect for me when going on a Tech trip

stock they het ok milage..
im running 34" Bias ply swampers and 6" of lift so im commin in about 8MPG :)

and i love it

Jorbar1551:
Im in the market for buying a used car. If you could have anycar to drive down to go diving, what would it be? why?
Any vehicle that carries your buddies and all your gears with the ability to do this...
MarcsPickupcopy.jpg

A lockable bed helps gears from growing legs and running away, while you are under.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom