What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave in PA:
JR, which engine do you have in your Chevy 1500?

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport. I get 18 mpg around town and have gotten 23-24 mpg highway. I can carry two divers and gear for a weekend worth of diving. It may not be ideal, but it's paid for!

I have a 2000 Cherokee and get about the same gas mileage. It is a perfect vehicle for carrying a lot of stuff and/or people in any situation. I have a rubber mat thing with a 1" lip for the trunk area, and that keeps everything else dry if I throw all my wet stuff in there. The Cherokee is hands down my favorite vehicle ever, and even with over 170K on it, it still drives well.

My husband is currrently driving the Cherokee, and I'm driving a Wrangler. That has plenty of room for one divers gear, but two might be a squeeze.

yah i agree with van's u have changing room and more room to walk around in if u have too,more storage too, the van i have when u open the back door it's like an over hang ohh and the door light's up too=)

My Chevy HHR gets about 30mpg and hauls a surprising amount of gear. You can get a new one completely loaded for under $24,000 so a used one should be reasonably priced. I bought a couple of 4'X6' rugs to put in the back of mine to protect the fold flat seats from scratches. I remove the carpet from the cargo area and put a second 4'x6' rug there as well. No point getting my good carpet wet when it's removeable!
Ber :lilbunny:

DaFishy, 2000 Ford Windstar, basic model, so even though I do take care of it I am not too worried about a little bit of wear and tear especially for the sake of diving :)

Thalassamania:
I have a Ford Explorer, which is great when the whole team needs a ride and a 1977 280Z, which is great for two of us. I'd love a Bison:

Bison-Wasser.JPG

I want the vehicle in this picture and I will bring as many people with me as possible

While I see the value of a pickup, I still prefer the suv or minivan options.

Have dove out of a Toyota Sienna, works VERY well. Sits a little low for standing up in doubles. But works great for three people gearing up. We each got a door. :D

BF drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Also works very well. (I like driving it too. :) )
I have an '06 RAV4. It also works quite well. The '06s are 14 inches longer. I have 73cf with the back seat folded down (37cf with it up). Gives me tons of space, I dive dry, and doubles, worked for me and the BF. Only part I'm not as crazy about is the rear gate swings open to the side instead of up. I like to stay dry when it's raining. (Although closing it is easier, and I don't bump my head on it. :D )

I had also looked at the Honda Element and was quite impressed but I wanted the four doors.

Old rusty Toyota Hiace van 9seater
Old and rusty so no worries about saltwatersoakingdivegear:D
Van 9seater so there's enough places to buddies and children, and there's still place for 8tanks and 7 sets of dive gear and cameras and housings and cookies and pancakes and lemonade and coffe pot and chinese-street-coker and milk and chips and life-jackets and cold-box and winter-over-alls (if the gets nasty) and sparesocks and couple of boxes-for-all-kind-of-neat-stones-and-shells-children-do-find-around-and-wanna-take-home and...:shakehead
It's better have a bike...

Chevy Duramax Diesel HD2500, I get 25 MPG on highway, 13.5 MPG pulling 12,000 lbs(that would be the 30ft trailer, Why not bring a home with you and make it a comfy weekend?) and it is a REAL truck and holds 6 comfy........even Americans........:D

i dont think i want a mini van. it may be good for scuba diving, but im 19 years old...i need something to look good in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom