What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JR, which engine do you have in your Chevy 1500?

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport. I get 18 mpg around town and have gotten 23-24 mpg highway. I can carry two divers and gear for a weekend worth of diving. It may not be ideal, but it's paid for!

No question.

Dodge Ram VAn.... You can put a small dive shop inside...

Jorbar1551:
Im in the market for buying a used car. If you could have anycar to drive down to go diving, what would it be? why?
Depends on the kind of diving you do, which will govern the amount of equipment you have to carry around.

Personally I'm a fan of the extended cab pickup truck, with some sort of a bed cover. We have a camper shell. My wife and I are pretty active technical divers so we frequently haul around multiple rebreathers, bailout bottles, scooters, etc. The truck has plenty of space for such things. It even allows us to carry T-cylinders and a booster pump for filling in remote locales. The cab has plenty of space for clothing and other stuff that needs to stay dry and we can lock everything (front & back) up. Plus a truck allows for towing a boat if we need to.

However, for those who don't have as much stuff to carry there are all sorts of other vehicles that could work. I know lots of people that dive regularly from vehicles like a Subaru Outback, or a small SUV. I'm very much a fan of vehicles that allow us to secure the equipment under lock and key. It's way to valuable not to. My advice would be go test drive several things. But be sure to run by your house with any serious contenders and load all your dive gear in there to see what you think.

Brian

Jorbar1551:
Im in the market for buying a used car. If you could have anycar to drive down to go diving, what would it be? why?

James Bond had one a while back. It could operate both above and below the surface. Since it was used in that movie, it would be used and probably for sale for a song (and a million bucks)

My old '95 Chrysler Town & Country mini-van !!!!

the K

I have a Ford Explorer, which is great when the whole team needs a ride and a 1977 280Z, which is great for two of us. I'd love a Bison:

Bison-Wasser.JPG

Pretty much anything with a bed (read: truck). They come in hundreds of configurations. Mine personally would be an Explorer Sport Trac. A lot of people love Toyota Tacomas, but watch out for the taller people you might be toting around, the Japanese midsized truck offerings don't offer much in the way of room for the 95th percentile (me).

I know people who love vans/minivans but I prefer trucks because cleanup is easy, the tailgate offers a place to gear up/down and you can carry the tanks upright if you so desire.

SUVs are another good option. Right now I'm running a '96 Explorer and when I fold the seats down I've got 80 cuft of cargo room. Even with the 2nd row up there's more space then in the other SUVs in it's class. Throw a cargo bed liner back there and all I have to do is rinse off the liner.

I would recommend against the H3. Small cargo area and an underpowered engine make for a poor vehicle, especially if you're going to be hauling a lot of gear and people.

jonnythan:
Anyway, I think Jorbar needs to let us know what type of vehicle he's looking for. A compact wagon can be a great small dive vehicle and get great gas mileage.

I'd suggest the following:
Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix (same vehicle)

I think my little vibe does a good job for hauling around dive gear. I got one back in '03 when they were new on the market, actually one of the first in my city. Fold the back seats down flat for plenty of room - I get three dogs weighing 65, 86, and 120 lbs in the back of the thing! The molded plastic cargo area cleans up easy. Get's good gas mileage. And it's classy enough to still be able to take my turn driving for work functions. For me it was a practical, affordable multi-use choice that's still has a little bit of style to it. Not the car for every one, perhaps, but it offered what i was looking for.

eckybay:
I think my little vibe does a good job for hauling around dive gear. I got one back in '03 when they were new on the market, actually one of the first in my city. Fold the back seats down flat for plenty of room - I get three dogs weighing 65, 86, and 120 lbs in the back of the thing! The molded plastic cargo area cleans up easy. Get's good gas mileage. And it's classy enough to still be able to take my turn driving for work functions. For me it was a practical, affordable multi-use choice that's still has a little bit of style to it. Not the car for every one, perhaps, but it offered what i was looking for.
That's good to hear.. I plan on getting one :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom