police and car rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be renting a car for a couple of days and I heard that sometimes Mexican police would stop tourist car rentals, especially on the way to the airport, for "speeding" (regardless of what your actual speed was ofc).

Is there a go-to strategy to use if stopped by the police and asked to pay up?
Or its just cost of renting a car in Mexico?

I am also considering getting an IDP in case I am stopped and they want my license, so I will just hand my IDP instead and hope to retain the actual license

I haven't experienced or seen this in Cancun, but my friends from Mexico say that $20 (USD) is the going rate for bribes on traffic stops. . . My impression is that in Quintana Roo, the police are instructed to leave the tourists alone, but it's Mexico so. . .

I will be renting a car for a couple of days and I heard that sometimes Mexican police would stop tourist car rentals, especially on the way to the airport, for "speeding" (regardless of what your actual speed was ofc).

Is there a go-to strategy to use if stopped by the police and asked to pay up?
Or its just cost of renting a car in Mexico?

I am also considering getting an IDP in case I am stopped and they want my license, so I will just hand my IDP instead and hope to retain the actual license
So how do the police know it's a tourist rental or do they just stop all rental cars?

Don't be late so you are not under time pressure. Play dumb and don't speak Spanish.

I always insist on going to the police department to pay. They usually drop it after I insist long enough that they take me to pay.

So how do the police know it's a tourist rental or do they just stop all rental cars?
Pretty sure there are stickers, plus its pretty obvious when the driver is not local

Don't be late so you are not under time pressure. Play dumb and don't speak Spanish.
I actually barely speak any Spanish so playing dumb won't be hard

My impression is that in Quintana Roo, the police are instructed to leave the tourists alone, but it's Mexico so. . .
Yes, in the state of Quintana Roo there is actually a regulation where tourists are supposed to only be given a warning for the first minor traffic infraction. This site has some information on that, as well as a note you can show the police in Spanish letting them know that you know of the law:

Different plates which are easily recognized by different colors

Believe me, it is easier to get out of their clutches in a rental car than in a privately owned Mexican car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom