Road to Cabo Pulmo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to CP in October. I need to rent a car to drive me from the airport to CP. I understand the last 7 miles or so of road is dirt. I also understand that depending on road conditions there can be large ruts and potholes. I contacted BBB rental car in Cabo because they seem to have the best reviews. BBB is recommends that I rent a crossover SUV (like a Toyota RAV4) because it has somewhat higher ground clearance than a regular car. However, the SUV will cost me $33 more per day than their most basic car (basic Jetta or Ford Focus) and $24 per day more than a little better car (Corolla, Sentra, deluxe Jetta, etc.) That means $120-$165 additional cost for a five-day trip. For those of you who have made the drive, would it be very bad judgment for me to ignore BBB's advice and go with the regular car?

I always rent an SUV for the trip to Cabo Pulmo. The last time there I rented a pickup which was even better. You can do it in a car but you risk damaging the undercarriage, particularly if you don't usually drive on ungraded dirt roads.

The road is always rough. I have never found it graded. Additionally, if it rains while you're there you're there and the road floods you have a much better chance of getting through in a pickup or SUV than in a standard car.

It was pretty good in early July, but there’s been some weather since then. I would not be happy doing it in a sedan, but maybe in a 2WD SUV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom