What is the most bulletproof 1st stage of all time?

What is the most bullet proof 1st stage of all time?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visualize 20+ Conshelfs that date back 30+ years. Most of them are used every weekend all year long (primarily classes). They get rebuilt every year but not much love in between. Rinsed, checked and put away. Collectively they probably have tens of thousands of hours on them, and no problems. Like Timex watches, they just keep ticking.

If you choose conshelf then you should also choose Mares MR12. If you choose Mk2 you should also choose Sherwood brut.

So far it looks like Scubapro is in the lead.
Funny how I haven’t seen anything about Hog, Deep 6, or any of the other Chinese knock offs

Funny how I haven’t seen anything about Hog, Deep 6, or any of the other Chinese knock offs

People deep down know that SP is the best even when they cheer the cheap knock off stuff loudly. Deep down, you want the best, Scubapro/Atomic :p

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 4.22.25 PM.png

Back, when I first began diving, most of those whom I knew, generally skewed toward either the Italians or the Swedes, with very few outliers, having gone the Sherwood, US Divers / Aqualung, maybe Oceanic route.

Forget this elitist, I-want-to-live-to-see-another-day crap, I'm going to now change my vote for the "YIan," from the worker's paradise of Jiangsu . . .

I voted for atomic, because I've used those the longest between service intervals.

However, I've since sold all of them and only have DiveRite regs now. I can and do service them all myself. Plus they cost half of what the atomic regs did.

Bullet proof is a subjective term, I suppose......

If the criterion is bulletproof, then I think a Poseidon 2960 first and a Cyklon second would be my choices. They're not my favorites, but they're bulletproof.
20141029_182732.jpg

The Mk2 and Mk5 fail for salt water degradation of the piston head land if they're not kept rinsed (remember: bulletproof). Sherwood fails if you get ANY lube in the piston head filter. Conshelf fails if you nick the non-replaceable volcano. I've seen more than one example of all three.
The Poseidon 2960 is balanced, and as a diaphragm, the innards are protected. The "valve piston" is a simple cone you can polish in a drill motor. HP seats are still available, but you can recondition old ones. Aftermarket diaphragms work just fine. I stock all the orings in bulk for my own regs.
The Cyklon has that wonky 161psi IP, but it breathes like a dream. Coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve, so it breathes well in all positions. The linkages are all metal, so a soak in vinegar and you're back in action. Yeah, a PITA to reassemble without the special clamp tool.

But bulletproof!

But where's my heart? Mk5.
Where's my workhorse? An old Conshelf with a hand-polished volcano that's almost 50 years old.
What's my deep set? Atomic.
What's my favorite? Mk19/D420

I’ll stick with the MK2, despite the great and impassioned arguments for many of the others. No diaphragm to deteriorate, I’ve found a first gen mk2 in a scrap bin, flipped the seat and it worked, I think Kupu has it now, Aqua lung Aquarius was also pretty tough and even though not recommended I’ve shimmed one up to get it to work at 3500 psi, not saying these dead simple tiny part count Regs are smooth and consistent like their better cousins and siblings but they are tough and about as large caliber bullet proof as you’ll find, only slightly more complicated than a rock and just about as dependable at delivering air as the valve they attach to.

Sherwood fails if you get ANY lube in the piston head filter.

So if got service it improperly, it will fail, as will other regs.

I bought a Sherwood in 1980 and its first service was around 2005 because the dry bleed stopped, the vitals were still all good, with 100 or more dives a year on it. The second needed cleaning and adjustment along the way but a monkey, even me, can take care of an old Magnum second.

In 2009 I replaced it with a new Sherwood, and use the Magnum ever since on my pony because of its reliability. The new reg isn't getting the workout the old one did, but it's going strong.

I got an old Scubapro MK 3/108 for free once that was so encrusted and green it could have passed for yard art.
It was probably circa 1967? or so (I’m guessing). The guy I got it from got it used from his NAUI instructor in 1971. He needed to be a certified diver to be able to compete in an big international freedive spearfishing competition. They did one dive to 100’ with a single 72 and no BC off the north coast and he was certified.
He never really cared about scuba gear and never had that reg serviced and it barely got rinsed, maybe splashed with a little fresh water if it got lucky. He finally hung up the reg in the late 80’s after he took it down to 200’ on air in Florida hunting groupers and got bent when he ran out of air at 60’ coming up and had to make an emergency ascent. A reg that he honestly can’t remember when it got serviced (or ever) and takes it to 200’ solo!! Cowboy!!

I tore the reg down and soaked everything for two days. After that I cleaned it out, flipped the HP seat, went to the local True Value hardware store for the two o-rings on the piston, lubed it all up. Same with the second stage.
The chrome was so bad that I decided to strip it all off and polish up the brass. I took the reg for a test dive just to see if it would work on a real dive and it worked fine.
So to me that’s pretty bulletproof.
The MK2/R195 is the current version of that reg so that’s why I picked it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom