Question What are your thoughts on Garmin Descent Mk2 as a backup DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you to everybody that provided input. It looks as though I am going to be going with the Teric.

I honestly think that the reason I was struggling with the decision is that among the DCs I was looking at, there is not a bad choice and there are none that stand out as clear winners above the others. In that situation, I figured that I have a Perdix AI, so I will stay within the Shearwater universe. (Besides, by doing this, I am supporting a Canadian Company.)

1643396475603.png

I wouldn’t really want two transmitters on my reg at the same time, easier to end the dive and prep for the next one.
As an aside, two of the same MH8A transmitters on the same first stage will turn on at the same time, so signal collision is certain. Either need different colors, or the new SWIFT as one of them.

As an aside, two of the same MH8A transmitters on the same first stage will turn on at the same time, so signal collision is certain. Either need different colors, or the new SWIFT as one of them.
No need for two transmitters, I will just pair both my Perdix AI and my Teric to the same transmitter (a Swift), and have an SPG along in case the transmitter fails.

Placed my order today for a Teric (with a blue bezel) and transmitter. It should be in early next week.

Thanks again for all of the guidance and advice.

Just to wrap things up & close the proverbial loop, I just picked up my Teric (and Swift transmitter) today. I now have both a Teric & a Perdix AI. I guess only after diving with them will I know which one I consider my primary & which one I consider my backup dive computer.

Now if only travel becomes easier in & out of Canada and dive trips become more convenient. (An announcement is expected this week hopefully.)

Congrats on your toy last year, and I hope its everything you wanted. Just as a followup, that was a wise decision. I have Shearwater, and numerous other computers. I too wanted a nice looking watch that would function as a dive computer. The Descent Mk2i seemed to meet the bill. However, some bonehead at Garmin thought it would be a good idea to use sonar to connect the tank to the watch and transmit the information from any other garmin transmitter equipped diver back to the watch. It does this with an amazingly annoying BEEP every five seconds. The beep CANNOT be disabled, its the design function of the transmitter. Imagine a perfect dive, and every 5 seconds you hear a beep behind your ear (the transmitter must be installed upright for line of sight to the watch). You made a great choice for a recreational diver, and I hope it does everything you want.

Congrats on your toy last year, and I hope its everything you wanted. Just as a followup, that was a wise decision. I have Shearwater, and numerous other computers. I too wanted a nice looking watch that would function as a dive computer. The Descent Mk2i seemed to meet the bill. However, some bonehead at Garmin thought it would be a good idea to use sonar to connect the tank to the watch and transmit the information from any other garmin transmitter equipped diver back to the watch. It does this with an amazingly annoying BEEP every five seconds. The beep CANNOT be disabled, its the design function of the transmitter. Imagine a perfect dive, and every 5 seconds you hear a beep behind your ear (the transmitter must be installed upright for line of sight to the watch). You made a great choice for a recreational diver, and I hope it does everything you want.
Half the info in this post is false:
  • While the beep cannot be disabled, the volume can be turned down significantly if you don't need ~30ft range on your AI.
  • The transmitter does not need to be installed upright. It can be installed in any orientation on any length hose.
  • There is no requirement for line of sight to the watch. The signal can be received from anywhere within ~30ft connected by water.
The beep is ultrasonic, and many people (especially people over 30) can't hear it at all. Those that can often can't hear it when volume is set to low.

For those that can hear it, even on the lowest power, it is not a good choice of computer because of the beep. For everyone else, the beep is irrelevant (other than the 30ft range advantage).

Half the info in this post is false:
  • While the beep cannot be disabled, the volume can be turned down significantly if you don't need ~30ft range on your AI.
  • The transmitter does not need to be installed upright. It can be installed in any orientation on any length hose.
  • There is no requirement for line of sight to the watch. The signal can be received from anywhere within ~30ft connected by water.
The beep is ultrasonic, and many people (especially people over 30) can't hear it at all. Those that can often can't hear it when volume is set to low.

For those that can hear it, even on the lowest power, it is not a good choice of computer because of the beep. For everyone else, the beep is irrelevant (other than the 30ft range advantage).
Notwithstanding the rudeness of the above poster, apparently L13 has not read the instructions: "The transmitter communicates wirelessly with your compatible dive computer. On the surface, it uses ANT® technology. Underwater, it uses a sonar signal. Your body, drysuit, and dive equipment can obstruct the signal, particularly while underwater. For the best reception, all transmitters in your group should have clear lines of sight to the dive computer. To help prevent blocking the signal with your body or equipment, you should follow these tips." The beep is not "ultrasonic," it is clearly an audible sound (ultrasonic means, a frequency above the upper limit of human hearing). As to positioning the transmitter, "for the best reception, you should wear the tank high on your back. This allows the transmitter to have a clear line of sight over your shoulders." @L13 Read the manual. I am WAY over 30 and the sound is easily heard, even at the lowest setting. Indeed, many of the Garmin forums discuss the annoying "beep," and supposedly, something will be in the works to stop the beep "sometime," according to Garmin support. My guess is it will happen "soon." Lol.

I have read the instructions. I have also used a Garmin Mk2i and two Garmin T1's for over 2 years.
"The transmitter communicates wirelessly with your compatible dive computer. On the surface, it uses ANT® technology. Underwater, it uses a sonar signal.
Garmin can not "stop the beep" because that is it's only means of communication under water. They could change the frequency, but the higher they make the frequency the more directional the signal making it more susceptible to obstacles.

Your body, drysuit, and dive equipment can obstruct the signal, particularly while underwater.
Yes the manual has all sorts of language to this effect, probably to protect themselves from complaints in those cases when it doesn't work. However, the truth is that it works around all such obstacles most of the time for most people.

The beep is not "ultrasonic," it is clearly an audible sound (ultrasonic means, a frequency above the upper limit of human hearing).
It is "ultrasonic" which is defined as > 20 kHz. The T1 works at 22 kHz. While most people can't hear above 20 kHz, there is a significant sub-population that can. For those that can, ultrasonic devices at the low end of the range can be VERY irritating.

.I am WAY over 30 and the sound is easily heard, even at the lowest setting. Indeed, many of the Garmin forums discuss the annoying "beep,"
You are obviously one of those people, as are all those complaining on the forum.

and supposedly, something will be in the works to stop the beep "sometime," according to Garmin support. My guess is it will happen "soon." Lol.
By it's very nature, the "beep" on the T1 can not be stopped without stopping AI. The ANT 2.4 GHz RF signal can not penetrate even a few inches of water, it can't be used during the dive. However, I believe Garmin is able to change the frequency of the beep, and are shifting it to a higher frequency that can be heard by fewer people. Unfortunately, that will also make the signal more directional and more susceptible to obstacles. As a result, those of us who aren't bothered by the beep now will be disappointed by the change since the signal will be more line of sight.

If we are lucky, the frequency will be user selectable so that those not bothered by the lower frequency can have the higher performance. But more likely Garmin will pick one frequency and someone will always be disappointed.

Something both myself and @SFLScubapro should keep in mind is that just because something doesn't work for us, doesn't mean it isn't great for others, and just because something is great for us doesn't mean it will be great for others.

Most things have advantages and disadvantages. When we are at out best we clearly and dispassionately express both, allowing others to determine their own cost/benefit balance. At our worst, we rant or cheer lead.

Let's try and be our best, and be accepting of each other when we aren't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom