Question What are your thoughts on Garmin Descent Mk2 as a backup DC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Hoag

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thank you to everybody that provided input. It looks as though I am going to be going with the Teric.

I honestly think that the reason I was struggling with the decision is that among the DCs I was looking at, there is not a bad choice and there are none that stand out as clear winners above the others. In that situation, I figured that I have a Perdix AI, so I will stay within the Shearwater universe. (Besides, by doing this, I am supporting a Canadian Company.)

1643396475603.png

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I wouldn’t really want two transmitters on my reg at the same time, easier to end the dive and prep for the next one.
As an aside, two of the same MH8A transmitters on the same first stage will turn on at the same time, so signal collision is certain. Either need different colors, or the new SWIFT as one of them.

OP
Hoag

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As an aside, two of the same MH8A transmitters on the same first stage will turn on at the same time, so signal collision is certain. Either need different colors, or the new SWIFT as one of them.
No need for two transmitters, I will just pair both my Perdix AI and my Teric to the same transmitter (a Swift), and have an SPG along in case the transmitter fails.

OP
Hoag

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Placed my order today for a Teric (with a blue bezel) and transmitter. It should be in early next week.

Thanks again for all of the guidance and advice.

OP
Hoag

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just to wrap things up & close the proverbial loop, I just picked up my Teric (and Swift transmitter) today. I now have both a Teric & a Perdix AI. I guess only after diving with them will I know which one I consider my primary & which one I consider my backup dive computer.

Now if only travel becomes easier in & out of Canada and dive trips become more convenient. (An announcement is expected this week hopefully.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom