What is the most bulletproof 1st stage of all time?

What is the most bullet proof 1st stage of all time?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just as the title suggests, what is the most bullet proof and reliable 1st stage of all time.
Also taking into account: simplicity, parts availability, ability to field repair, IP stability over long spans of time, finickyness, reliability.
In other words, if you were stuck on a desert island with one reg to use with very limited resources, which one would you pick?
Please pick your brand then elaborate on model.
For some people a basic unbalanced 1st might be fine, for others something balanced might be a must have.
Everybody has different ideas, I want to know what people think.
I put an “other” choice in case you have a different brand in mind. For instance someone might think that a double hose might be it or perhaps another brand such as Hog or Deep 6 or Dive Rite. I was limited on room for the poll.
I’m going to leave price out of this.

Personally, I’m stuck between two choices, Scubapro MK2, and Aqualung Conshelf.

Your two choices are good, I would give the MK 2 the edge based on simplicity.
I’m leaning that way. However, the Conshelf doesn’t have any exposed lubricant that can pick up grit so it might be better for beach diving, but it has more parts.
But the MK2 is basically one moving part with 2 O-rings and a little HP seat, about as dirt simple as it gets.

The Conshelf could actually go without rinsing as long as the inside was clean - it wouldn’t like it but it could, whereas the the MK2 can’t.
So if fresh water was limited then there’s that.

I find the Sherwood Brut/ Magnum as the most simplistic and easy to field maintain. You can literally unscrew it with your hand and clean/ lube/ replace the piston parts and it's environmentally sealed by design. However, it doesn't meet the needs for all types of diving as it is unbalanced but for most recreation dives it is probably adequate.

I own the Conshelf and the MK2 and both are simple and easy to maintain but neither can be mostly disassembled without some type of tools.

I have seen boat cleaner Conshelfs that have unbelieveable amounts of internal corrosion. They have most likely never been rinsed yet breathe fine and hold rock solid IP. Mk2s are great too but they are not as popular with hull cleaners.

Does USD count as Aqualung?
I'll throw one in that you might not think of, the double hose Mistral.
Few moving parts, completely sealed, no seals or orings to go bad and very simple. Add to that, there is no second stage to go bad because it does not have one. You can even re-polish the main seat on a sea shell if you had to.

For me it is the Scubapro MK5. I am using them now, and I used them for more than 40 years.
They are simple, reliable and easy to service.
But they are also great performers, so you do not sacrifice performances for reliability.

Is it worth differentiating vintage scubapro designs from their modern offerings in this instance? Not saying that new scubapro stuff is bad, just that some of the comments here are referring to old designs.

Is it worth differentiating vintage scubapro designs from their modern offerings in this instance? Not saying that new scubapro stuff is bad, just that some of the comments here are referring to old designs.
Anything that can be serviced and parts are available for, either factory or LKQ aftermarket.
Something like old Dacor or Sportsways would not qualify.
Does USD count as Aqualung?
I'll throw one in that you might not think of, the double hose Mistral.
Few moving parts, completely sealed, no seals or orings to go bad and very simple. Add to that, there is no second stage to go bad because it does not have one. You can even re-polish the main seat on a sea shell if you had to.
Yes.
As long as it can be serviced somehow to be made usable and reliable it counts.
Good choice BTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom