What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you mean by combine 45"? Is it X+Y+Z? Can you show me a picture? Weight is usually not my concern because they can't tell by looking at it. The DC I have seen, they are usually too long, noticeably longer the limit

Length+width+height. Some airlines have fixed dimensions allowed. Others set the mark at a total size. I'm flying out on United and their allowable size is 45 inches total. My DC is 22" long, 13" wide and 10" tall. The turtle bag will add a few inches to the length, but it's removable, and I'll usually clip it onto my personal bag. It does look longer, however next to a standard carryon, it's smaller than you think.

Here is what is packed in it.
Fins
SS bp with DSMB and pouch attached(finger spool, mirror, etc...)
2 sets of Sea Soft Sunray boots
2 full skins
full 3/2 suit
3mm vest
2pr swim jammers
2 pr gloves
Wing
Board shorts
a couple of tshirts.

Turtle bag:
Computer
compass
save a dive kit
2 lights, strobe, tank light
batteries

I can tell you this. I (or shall I say the bag throwers) have killed 2 Armor bags (the wheeled backpack they don't sell anymore) and an REI Tech Beast. 3 bags in 5 years. I am at a loss as to what will survive. I am leaning towards an Osprey Shuttle. The dive gear brand bags look cheap in comparison to what I had break. I would consider some hardside thing but they weigh a ton. good Luck!

I can tell you this. I (or shall I say the bag throwers) have killed 2 Armor bags (the wheeled backpack they don't sell anymore) and an REI Tech Beast. 3 bags in 5 years. I am at a loss as to what will survive. I am leaning towards an Osprey Shuttle. The dive gear brand bags look cheap in comparison to what I had break. I would consider some hardside thing but they weigh a ton. good Luck!

Honestly - the cheapest duffel bag you can find that fits all of your stuff is the way to go. Bag throwers damage bags, but if you pack your stuff intelligently they can't really damage plastic/rubber/nylon/steel. I check my BP/W, drysuit, cutting devices, fins, reels, spools in a duffel bag and carry on my can light, regs and shearwater. Duffels weigh nothing and cost less when they finally get a tear in them from use.

I've been using these bags from Wild Things for years, for both climbing and diving trips.

Sorry, I've had great service from all my Akona bags (and none have giant dive flags ).

Recommending ANY gear will get you as many opinions as there are options. You want rolling or boat? Rolling needs to have the length to fit your fins, and the volume to hold the rest of your gear including at boat bag. It needs to be strong enough to survive baggage handlers, and have large wheels. Preferably with a large, strong, non-metal zipper.

Boat bag needs to have a strong mesh on at least the top half and canvas type cloth on the bottom. It needs to be able to survive being drug around on decks, yet breath to dry out afterward (because it WILL be wet). It also has to be large enough to hold all your dive gear including fins.

What is "best" for me may not be best for you.

---------- Post Merged at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:13 PM ----------

You can also look here... Redoxx.com

I work for a railroad and many guys swear by these for their personal use. What we do to bags makes the baggage monkeys look like amatures in comparison.

http://www.redoxx.com/Expedition-Duffel-Bags/Flying-Boxcar/91021-Boxcar/140/Product

That looks like a great bag. I wish it had wheels

yup, several of the non-wheeled ones look durable, but I need the wheels as well.

I use the Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler. It holds enough gear and clothing to last a week, doesn't look like a "dive" bag and has a lifetime warranty on practically everything.

with my track record with luggage I found 2 options and ordered both. I can return both at no charge.
Eagle Creek ORV trunk 30 - lifetime no matter what warranty - thanks Damselfish!
and
North Face Rolling Thunder med (I think this one may be too small - the large was ridiculously huge).

I use Atomic split fins that are 27" long and that can be a challenge with luggage. I will keep you posted on what is kept and what is returned.

Back
Top Bottom