What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We buy rolling duffle bags at Costco. They almost always have them, although from one time to another, they differ in details. They run about $40 and last two to three years. We aren't heartbroken when they fail and have to be replaced (so far, they've never failed in a way that made it impossible to get the gear home in them).

And, they don't advertise "CONTAINS EXPENSIVE, FENCEABLE DIVE GEAR"!

We buy rolling duffle bags at Costco. They almost always have them, although from one time to another, they differ in details. They run about $40 and last two to three years. We aren't heartbroken when they fail and have to be replaced (so far, they've never failed in a way that made it impossible to get the gear home in them).

same here!

I used a Stahlsac bag when I traveled to Italy last summer. It held up very well, up and down stairs, on and off of trains, through airports, more trains, taxis, stairs, curbs, and again, more stairs. It was loaded down with a full compliment of technical diving gear and weighed in at over 60lbs. The only damage through all that was a tiny hole that was caused by shoddy packing at the end of the trip. I was impressed.

They're expensive, but I don't have to worry about the wheels falling off, the zipper busting, or the handle ripping off. I'd buy it again.

Dive Caddy. It isnt complicated at all. I watched the video once, and packed it. Went together easy, and very comfortable carrying.

Can usually find some good deals on wheeled bags at Sears, JC Penny or Macy's. I tear up a few a year due to packing an array of tools and safety gear. The airlines and the TSA twinkies are hard on any luggage and it seems the heavier bags get treated harder.The bigger wheeled bags I buy are semi rigid and for about $90-100 US for a set of 4 bags, so I think that it's a steal. I do however have the ability to "write them off" so no great loss. I fly considerably more than the average person and have learned how to pack to my advantage. Is there any one great bag, I don't think so. The right person can destroy yours or anyone's best bag.

Up here they are hockey bags, but I think were talking about the same thing. They are cheap, one is big enough to pack 2 peoples warm water dive gear in them, and the bag weighs next to nothing. Regs, camera, and computers are packed in carry-on though. I have spent a tremendous amount of money on luggage that just takes up space in my closet. Going on a dive trip, its the hockey bag that comes out every time, its the only way to pack all the gear and stay under the weight limit.

I hunted around last year for a travel bag to replace a large duffle that I had used for years. I was really interested in the Dive Caddy, except for the price. I finally settled on a Bare duffle with stowable back pack straps. It was $100 is made of heavy Cordura, has normal strap handles and back pack straps that tuck into a pocket in the bottom of the bag. It will hold warm water gear for two and still come in well under 50#. The bag itself is only 3.5#. I have never been a fan of roller bags as the wheel assembly has to be fairly heavy to be durable, most roller bags are over 10# just for the bag.

I hunted around last year for a travel bag to replace a large duffle that I had used for years. I was really interested in the Dive Caddy, except for the price. I finally settled on a Bare duffle with stowable back pack straps. It was $100 is made of heavy Cordura, has normal strap handles and back pack straps that tuck into a pocket in the bottom of the bag. It will hold warm water gear for two and still come in well under 50#. The bag itself is only 3.5#. I have never been a fan of roller bags as the wheel assembly has to be fairly heavy to be durable, most roller bags are over 10# just for the bag.
Stahlsac roller bags are between 7.2-9.4 lbs. IF you don't mind lugging stuff on your back, then a simple lightweight backback is fine. If you are tired of carrying stuff on your back, roller,roller......

I'll be checking those out tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom