What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simonl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear All,

I've only had bad experience with Akona... and heard other stories that they don't last... and they really don't.
I've just bought a ScubaPro Dive 'n' Roll for local diving... but I need a good travel dive bag.

If you have some good experience with dive bags please recommend the brand.

The Dive Caddy looks very complicated.

Thanks!

Dear All,

I've only had bad experience with Akona... and heard other stories that they don't last... and they really don't.
I've just bought a ScubaPro Dive 'n' Roll for local diving... but I need a good travel dive bag.

If you have some good experience with dive bags please recommend the brand.

The Dive Caddy looks very complicated.

Thanks!

The Dive Caddy looks complicated but is pretty easy. The LDS showed me 1 time at the store and I didn't have any problems packing it. There is a video on their website. You can pack all your gear in it and still throw in a couple pairs of shorts and T shirts. I used mine for a trip to Grand Cayman and liked it just fine as carry on. It doesn't have wheels though, but it does have straps for using it as a backpack. It does have the dive flag on it but if you are making everything carry on it doesn't matter, it never leaves your sight. I take a mesh bag to haul gear to and from the boat.

Last edited:
Dive caddy! It took a couple of minutes, but I figured mine out on my own. It held all my gear, and the backpack straps were more comfortable than I expected. There are plenty of videos available to help you out if needed.

Depends what you are carrying and where to. When I go on a liveaboard, I just put the gear into a cheap duffle bag. Use rhe neoprene or clothing to pad the important stuff. Best part is that it folds up completely. For trips that I don't need to save on space as much, I use the oceanic bag. You need a bag that, when filled, weighs less than the airline limit. That, unfortunately, is a smaller dive bag. Any big bag will weigh too much if filled. If you are taking local trips, then take your choice of economical bags.

Check out tacticaltailor.com

Their bags come in every size, they are made with the toughest materials and here's the kicker. They have a lifetime warranty. I've been using one for 9 years and it still looks/functions like new. I got the medium size one and can easily fit all of my gear in it.

I have had great luck with Akona. I have the <10 lb bag and the Evolution. I have had both for several years and use them anytime I travel, not just for scuba gear. I have been to Europe multiple times with them and to China. I did have a problem with the Akona rollerboard but when I contacted Akona, they sent me a replacement. Sorry you haven't had good luck with them.

Generic duffel bag. Easy, cheap, weighs almost nothing, takes up little space on the boat, doesn't attract attention, lasts forever.

Exactly, don't put a big red flag (with a white stripe) telling thieves exactly where expensive scuba gear is easily located.

We buy rolling duffle bags at Costco. They almost always have them, although from one time to another, they differ in details. They run about $40 and last two to three years. We aren't heartbroken when they fail and have to be replaced (so far, they've never failed in a way that made it impossible to get the gear home in them).

I've been impressed with Aqua Lungs new roller bag line. Lightweight, sturdy and a lifetime warranty.
Bags, Knives and Accessories
I'll just use a good mesh bag once I'm at my location for hauling gear on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom