What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using an Armor Traveler Wheeled Backpack, #89 and its held up to several international trips quite well.

Eagle Creek Crossroads Roll-Away 30

Very roomy, but the cinch straps can easily compress the contents.

My only negative comment would be that they should have paid the weight penalty to have normal handles over the center portion of the bag. It can be awkward to lift it by the pull handles, and you have to use two hands to lift it holding the bottom plastic bracket and the pull handles at the same time.

Will the DiveCaddy take two lots of gear?

My partner and I are travelling soon and want to pack all our dive gear (BCD/Regs/Fins/Masks x 2) in the one bag.

Will the DiveCaddy take two lots of gear?

My partner and I are travelling soon and want to pack all our dive gear (BCD/Regs/Fins/Masks x 2) in the one bag.

Probably not as it is designed to be used as a carry-on. You could probably make everything fit, but it would probably have to be checked.

We buy rolling duffle bags at Costco. They almost always have them, although from one time to another, they differ in details. They run about $40 and last two to three years. We aren't heartbroken when they fail and have to be replaced (so far, they've never failed in a way that made it impossible to get the gear home in them).

We just picked up two this past weekend for a couple of upcoming trips. I especially liked the way the bag is divided and has a wet/dry pocket.

My Akona roller bag is now 10 yrs old and good as new. As much as the airports try it has not been damaged. When it does break I'm going to find out where Costco is :)

Check out tacticaltailor.com

Their bags come in every size, they are made with the toughest materials and here's the kicker. They have a lifetime warranty. I've been using one for 9 years and it still looks/functions like new. I got the medium size one and can easily fit all of my gear in it.

I have beat the snot out of Tactical Tailor Gear. When I am not relaxing in the sun down here in Cuba, I am an instructor for the Army. Every day is spent in full gear and my bags get tossed around the ground, over walls, and in the backs of humvees quite regularly. My TT gear has handled it all with flying colors. The M5 Medic pack is great and I can fit a good bit of stuff in it.

Hi Guys:

I'm also heading for warmer waters next month and would appreciate some advice on an appropriate gear bag. I'll be carrying a 3mm fullsuit along with a bcd, regulator and the ubiquitous other snorkeling gear. I already have a roller suit case and a small back pack where I carry my laptop. Would I be better off getting a roller bag or just a standard duffle bag. I will be using long freediving fins though.

Thanks,
Claude

We buy rolling duffle bags at Costco. They almost always have them, although from one time to another, they differ in details. They run about $40 and last two to three years. We aren't heartbroken when they fail and have to be replaced (so far, they've never failed in a way that made it impossible to get the gear home in them).

With Costco, if you really wanted to you could get them to replace the bag for free. They have a great habit of standing behind everything they sell. Though of course if you get a few years out of a cheap bag, you are getting pretty good value.

I have a couple old duffels I use including my hockey bag if I want everything in one huge package. Keeping weights separate cuts down on the wear (and back damage). Though most of the time I use an action packer for my gear and a duffel for the drysuit. The action packer is cheap ($25 or so) sturdy enough to use as a seat or stand, and can double as a rinse bucket for salt water, then keeps everything from soaking my car. It also fits nicely in my trunk.

Back
Top Bottom