What is the BEST travel dive bag? - And don't say Akona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For carry on MEI voyager- fits all my gear: 2xl 5mm full, BC, regulator, apollo Bio fins large, mask, hood, gloves, and boots ~30 pounds.

The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler

Recomended:
Leisure Travel Bags :: One Bag

From their site:
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler
"My current choice in this category is the MEI "Voyageur" pack (pictured above), which is 22 × 14 × 9 inches (maximum permitted carryon size), made of 1000 denier Cordura with an interior urethane coating, and has a parallel stay internal aluminum frame. The hip belt and shoulder harness are lined with nylon knit, and padded with closed cell foam; these zip out of sight for carryon use, and a more "luggage-like" appearance

Honestly I have kidda given up on rolling bags especially those from diving companies. Over-priced, breaks down too easy especially the wheels and cus they are designed "specifically for diving" don't seem to be much good for anything else.

My various gripes... takes up too much space, bulky and aren't really durable, overpriced, screams "steal me", but worse of all is they pack like an old cupboard... either tons of wasted space or nothing important fits inside.

For weekend dive trips a tatonka barrel bag small with another 20 or 30l dry bag for the dry stuff lol!
The small barrel easily fits my jets, bp/w booties, wetsuit, masks, spare masks etc and has stowable backpack straps.

The medium barrel fits my quattros and for really longer trips the large barrels are perfect.

For the times when I have to drag the heavy stuff, a Wesco foldable hand cart works great and can be brought into planes.

With this setup I get a bunch of really durable, water resistant easy to clean bags, and a trolley that I can repair DIY.

Some clinch straps a mesh bag and I'm pretty much good to go anywhere.

I went thru several brands/styles[ Akona,Tusa, Armor, Stal. etc] over the years trying to find just the right bag......A friend told me about two companies; SOC and 5.11 Tactical Rush...They make several different sizes/styles....They're cheaper and better made than dive bags....Google Ebags.com or the two companies......

Depends what you are doing with it. That's basically a fairly large drybag, so if you want a bag to take a lot of stuff you need to keep dry on a boat maybe it's good. But there's generally no reason to keep all your gear bone dry, and if you put wet stuff in there it will all stew.

If you are looking for luggage for air travel iI don't think this is intended for that, plus it doesn't really look like a good size for a checked bag or a carryon bag. And I suspect it will get beat up if used for travel and not be dry for long, so you're wasting money on a drybag. If you want a simple duffel for travel, which some people like, I'd think you could get a regular one that was much more suitable for less money.

Just want to rave abt my Dakine split roller 65lt bag. Bottom part is used for my gears (bcd/fins/essential accessories). Top compartment is split to 3 sections - no more packing cube.
It's perfect for my warm water trips. It got compression straps to keep everything snug.
Divers with bulkier BCD might want to get the 100lt size.

I upgraded from regular luggage mainly bcs of the separate compartments. I always had to cushion the gears with my dry clothes to fill in all the empty spaces. It's nice to have special purpose bag that's compact and can separate my wet gears from dry, and I just love to see everything got organized so well. It's not waterproof but I use
lots of garbage bags to layer. Would be better if they have 4 instead of 2 wheels but can't really complain. Total weight filled with complete gears was abt 35lbs with exception of regulator and clothes.

Dear All,

I've only had bad experience with Akona... and heard other stories that they don't last... and they really don't.
I've just bought a ScubaPro Dive 'n' Roll for local diving... but I need a good travel dive bag.

If you have some good experience with dive bags please recommend the brand.

The Dive Caddy looks very complicated.

Thanks!

Okay, I am not impartial, I make a custom mesh dive bag. It holds a lot of gear and you can wear it like a backpack for short distances because it's not really a backpack, its a big ass dive bag. I recently went to Bonaire with friends and family and checked all my gear in this bag as did my wife. Made it on an off 4 different planes without a problem. You need to pack it logically and bury the stuff you think is fragile in the middle. Because the bags are uniquely designed by YOU the chances of having someone choose your bag off the baggage carousel is much reduced. Your name and your logo are on the bag and it's as colorful as you can make it. Here's a 20% off discount for being a Scubaboard contributor. Before you give your credit card info put this in the discount code field scubaboard2014 . Click here to design your bag.

I went with the eagle creek brand lifetime warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 17th, 2014 at 10:02 AM ----------

Sorry it's the orv bag. I love it. It's solid and holds a everything. I have destroyed numerous "dive bag" and they just don't hold up. I decided to
Buy luggage from luggage manufacturers. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I have kidda given up on rolling bags especially those from diving companies. Over-priced, breaks down too easy especially the wheels and cus they are designed "specifically for diving" don't seem to be much good for anything else.

My various gripes... takes up too much space, bulky and aren't really durable, overpriced, screams "steal me", but worse of all is they pack like an old cupboard... either tons of wasted space or nothing important fits inside.

For weekend dive trips a tatonka barrel bag small with another 20 or 30l dry bag for the dry stuff lol!
The small barrel easily fits my jets, bp/w booties, wetsuit, masks, spare masks etc and has stowable backpack straps.

The medium barrel fits my quattros and for really longer trips the large barrels are perfect.

For the times when I have to drag the heavy stuff, a Wesco foldable hand cart works great and can be brought into planes.

With this setup I get a bunch of really durable, water resistant easy to clean bags, and a trolley that I can repair DIY.

Some clinch straps a mesh bag and I'm pretty much good to go anywhere.

I couldn't have said it better. That's why I make the bag I do. Its tough, colorful, easy to carry, has a warranty and it is unmistakably YOURS! visit SplashBag - A Splash of Color for your dive gear. and use checkout code scubaboard2014 yes it's case sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom