What is the best DEFOGGER you have used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...
my tongue in mask method works underwater as well. Yes, I have tried it (once when I forgot to treat my mask on the surface).

Now, -that- I gotta remember.

Sometimes I forget to treat the mask in between dives, and I never remember till I hit the bottom.

Spit works OK unless you flood your mask a couple of times. I've never tried the toung idea underwater, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for products. 500 psi (aka - Smurf jism) works great and lasts for 3+ dives. I didn't find Sea Drops all that effective, and baby shampoo works if it's *very* diluted in water (a few drops in a bucket of water - dunk the mask just before entering the water), but rinses off like spit if you flood your mask.

Popeye once bubbled...

Sometimes I forget to treat the mask in between dives, and I never remember till I hit the bottom.

Forgot to treat mine before dive 1 this weekend....little tongin at 20' when fog overcame me solved the issue.

NetDoc once bubbled...
my tongue in mask method works underwater as well. Yes, I have tried it (once when I forgot to treat my mask on the surface).

It's also a great way to get a date! All you need to do is make sure your mask is high volume, and face the ladies when you "lick" the inside of the mask. I'm sure you'll impress at least a few of them. Of course you'll also get lots of EEWWWW's and UCKS from a few of the ladies who have not learned to appreciate this type of talent.

Used to use sea drops but it kept wearing off. I tried Sea Gold, made by the same people who make sea drops, and it works great.

My spit doesn't seem to come with a defogger option ...

Sea Drops work marginally well for me ... except when the water's really cold.

I tried 5000PSI in Maui ... but I have prescription lenses with bifocals, and it left a distracting white residue around the edges of the bifocal lens. I had to use a toothbrush to get it out. Too much hassle ... I gave it to a friend with a regular mask and he likes it a lot.

Gel toothpaste works great in warm-water, but doesn't seem to work as well for PNW winter conditions ... I'd still fog up. I use it when I travel, and prefer the red kind (because of the stimulating cinnamon odor).

For most cold-water conditions, Sea Gold works best for me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

coliseum once bubbled...
Just to share my experience with you... the best Defogger I have used (I have tried almost everythinG)... is JOHNSON BABY SHAMPOO...

This is no joke... try it and thank me later if you have not tried it before...

Jim Wyatt of Reefdivers used scented baby shampoo, bubblegum, I think it was, and it worked great.

I use SeaDrops, because I kinda collect them, they have individual diveshops names printed on the label, I always have several bottles on me.

I have used Fog-X, applied the night before diving and allowed to dry, and it's lasted for weeks.

Masks fog because the warm moist air you exhale is cooled by the outside water temperature cooling your mask glass.

This can be aggravated by exhaling partially through your nose, which many people do without knowing.

Using a wetting agent in the mask will relieve surface tension of the condensation, and no fog forms.

Just about anything will work to do that, the question is, how long it stays before being washed out.

If your mask leaks a ton, you'll wash out whatever you use, regardless.

If my spit was less soluable than a chemical agent, I might think about seeing a doctor... :)

coliseum once bubbled...
Just to share my experience with you... the best Defogger I have used (I have tried almost everythinG)... is JOHNSON BABY SHAMPOO...

This is no joke... try it and thank me later if you have not tried it before...

Yes, Johnson Baby Shampoo is the best. Just rince it well and your mask well. i have the habit of defog the mask as the first thing to do when setting up gear. Defog again before changing tank between dives.

Rince bucket??!! Or "spit bucket"? Imagine 10 to 30 divers on a dive boat spit and rince with the bucket! I rince ONLY with sea water.

:D

Mix 1/3 j&j to 2/3 water in a little spray bottle. been using it for a long time, best stuff Ive found. give it to everyone else on every trip, no problems yet!

Popeye once bubbled...
If your mask leaks a ton, you'll wash out whatever you use, regardless.

And the water washing out whatever you use will keep your mask from fogging. Problem solved.

I usually have a little water in my mask anyway, and I use it to defog my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom